ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New 22" Mossberg 930 JM Pro
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:18 pm 
Field Grade

Having had excellent reliability from our Mossberg 930 Field/Security Combo, I added a 22" 930 JM Pro. I selected the 22” version with the intention of removing the magazine extension and restoring it to field length for the hunting seasons. I had a Remington 870 Special Purpose for awhile and I find these 21-22 inch guns about perfect, in actual use.

The rest of the year, I’ll leave the Nordic extension and barrel clamp in place. Long-tube auto shotguns are a hoot to shoot, whether you’re a three-gunner or not.

This shotgun’s serial number is in the AF00610XX range and the box indicates it was packaged on 09/23/19. Fresh from the factory, it was a QC train wreck. The magazine extension nut was loose, the recoil pad was loose and the barrel clamp was loose. The bottom recoil pad screw was stripped. The bottom surface of the safety button sat nearly 1/8” above the receiver contour. The action was noticeably sluggish returning to battery, when compared to our old reliable 930 Field/Security Combo.

I fixed all the loose stuff and hoped the sluggishness might iron itself out. It had been raining non-stop, but I went out to shoot anyway.

I took an assortment of Universal #8, Remington and Winchester 0 and 00 buck and some Remington 1 oz slugs. All shells were 2 3/4. The JM Pro cycled the first mag of Universals OK, but choked on the second. High brass buck loads started hanging up just short of being chambered. Slugs required that the charging handle be manipulated every shot.

The shotgun does shoot well. With the IC tube installed and produces well centered patterns at the top of the bead and keeps 00 buckshot on a 14" plate at 25 yards. It was no problem to center a spray can at that distance with a slug. I hit the 12" plate easily from 50 yards and nailed the diamond plate twice from 100 yards, again using slugs. Now to make the damn thing work!

I tore the gun down and discovered burred recoil spring ends and a substantial burr on the recoil spring plunger. I cleaned these up, turned a 1/16" bevel on the leading and trailing edges of the plunger and polished it with 1000 grit wet or dry. I blew the grit off and gave everything a dousing with CLP. I also put a good dab of automotive anti-seize on the plunger end of the spring before reassembling the recoil system. This took all the sluggishness out of action cycling. The chamber had unfinished, sharp edges around its circumference; so I removed those and polished the chamber itself to 1500 finish.

I cleaned the barrel, reassembled the gun and headed back to the range with a box of Universal field loads and 30 rounds each of Remington & Winchester Buck & Slugs. Function was 100% this time and I ran the gun so hard the rain was steaming off the barrel. Another 50 slugs & buck ran fine the following day, as have 150 Federal All-Purpose and Winchester Universal Field loads, expended on clays sent into low orbit by the old Whitewing thrower. I like short shotguns and this one makes the hard shots easy.

This 930 JM Pro runs great with everything now, but it required way more correction than any new gun should. I already knew my way around the insides of a 930, so solving its problems was easy. If a guy bought this who couldn't work on guns, he’d be shipping it back. Nobody wants to pay $800 (MSRP) for 80% kit with a serial number.

The Mossberg 930 is an excellent auto shotgun design and the JM Pro is a practical adaptation of it. Too bad Mossberg’s QC is in the toilet and I can no longer recommend them.

Post subject: Re: New 22" Mossberg 930 JM Pro
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
SargeMO, that is one outstanding review! I especially admired your dedication to clean up so many burrs and to tighten loose bolts and screws, and to clean, polish, and lube everything on your new 930 JM Pro, because you already knew how reliable your 930 Field/Security Combo is.

I hope that you will print two copies of your review and mail them to Mr. Iver Mossberg and to Mr. Jerry Miculek. They are stand-up guys who need to get involved. Here are their addresses:

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.
c/o Mr. Iver Mossberg
7 Grasso Avenue
North Haven, CT 06473

Bang Inc.
c/o Mr. Jerry Miculek
310 Shootout Lane
Princeton, Louisiana 71067

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:01 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the reply and kind comments wfb18.

I emailed Mossberg CS about the JM Pro and here's what they said-

Quote:
Thank you for your email. I apologize the experience you've had has not been to your standards. When it comes to the screw and pad is that screw that is bad or is the hole it threads into on the stock stripped?

Sincerely,

Customer Service Team
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.

I replied-

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. It isn't that the JM Pro wasn't up to my standards. It wasn't up to your standards, based on my previous experience with Mossberg rifles and shotguns.

The recoil pad screws appear identical, so it has to be the stock. I usually apply a little Plastic Weld into stripped, synthetic stock holes with a tooth pick and let it harden before resetting the screw. This works 95% of the time and when it doesn't, I use the next size larger screw.

I like the stock; first one I've seen that didn't have a sharp mould line, down the comb. I'll happily save you the price of a stock in exchange for a standard 930 magazine cap, with swivel, and a standard length 930 magazine spring. If this is not agreeable, please advise cost+shipping for those two parts.

Again, thank you. The 930 is a great 'hard use' auto shotgun design and I hope you get the bugs worked out of assembly and inspection. I managed people for 25 years and I know all it takes is one guy, having a bad day, for the wheels to fall off the wagon.

Steve

They had the mag cap, no swivel, and the spring which they kindly offered to sell me and waive shipping. Told them thanks, but no.

FWIW I messaged Jerry via Facebook with short summary of the above. I see another guy posted on Jerry's page-

Quote:
a JM PRO 930. The ejector broke off from the barrel extension. Mossburg won't touch it or replace it. They say I have to buy a new barrel any way I can fix it without having to buy a new barrel?

Problems with these JMs are widely known and I can't imagine Mr. Mossberg (or for that matter Jerry) is oblivious to them. I can't see much to be gained by printing & snail-mailing the review. But I would certainly email him if that were possible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Steve, when a person is served a summons to appear in court, is it by e-mail?

IIRC, one guy, ONE GUY, was responsible for the whole powder coating debacle with the Remington 870 Express guns. Of course that does not excuse the rough chambers, etc., but as a plant manager you said, "I know all it takes is one guy, having a bad day, for the wheels to fall off the wagon."

Every time that I need proof that my paper correspondence has been legally received by someone or their subordinate, I pay $6 extra for Signature Confirmation mail at the Post Office. That way, the recipient knows that both the Post Office and I have a physical proof of receipt or its facsimile in case an escalation should become necessary. This has worked for me several times whereas I doubt that e-mails would have produced a response.

Back in the day, if it had existed, could you imagine someone being drafted by e-mail?

I believe that both Mr. Iver Mossberg and Mr. Jerry Miculek would be mortified to hold a paper copy of your actual ShotgunWorld post in their hands, and then would realize that these problems must be fixed. Good luck, sir.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:42 pm 
Field Grade

I've served subpoenas aplenty but I ain't dragging anybody to court over this. I just want them to address their QC problems. Anyhow I found OF Mossberg's facebook page and posted it there. Hopefully that, along with other OC complaints I saw there, will start them in the right direction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All right, sir. BTW, I was definitely not suggesting a summons or a subpoena, merely the usual futility of e-mails and media postings.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:43 am 
Utility Grade

So why didn't you send the gun back? If you want somebody to fix their mistakes you don't do it for them. Instead you come on here and complain about them. A brand new gun in that bad of condition should have been sent to the factory. Instead you tell us how great you are with the guns and slam Mossberg. I can't tell if you are patting yourself on the back or slamming Mossberg. Or are you trolling?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:15 pm 
Field Grade

Always a jackass in the outfit. Shove it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:43 pm 
Utility Grade

SargeMO wrote:

I guess that answers the question. I got the wrong choke with my mossberg, I sent them a picture of it and they sent me the right one. Hard to believe they would not want that terrible of a gun back!

C'mon people I understand common sense isn't common any more. But still You paid $800 for a gun and it was so bad you didn't send it back to the factory under warranty. You then come here to complain about it and you are mad you got called on it.

I don't care what gun you shoot but the factory should always have a chance to fix it before you complain and bash them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:44 pm 
Field Grade

Pgeurts wrote:
SargeMO wrote:

I guess that answers the question. I got the wrong choke with my mossberg, I sent them a picture of it and they sent me the right one. Hard to believe they would not want that terrible of a gun back!

C'mon people I understand common sense isn't common any more. But still You paid $800 for a gun and it was so bad you didn't send it back to the factory under warranty. You then come here to complain about it and you are mad you got called on it.

I don't care what gun you shoot but the factory should always have a chance to fix it before you complain and bash them.

One, I don't have anywhere near $800 in the JM Pro.

Two, what I do have in it is my money- which gives me the right to handle a service issue however I see fit. It also gives me the right to complain and perhaps save someone else a similar headache.

Three, Congratulations! You are the only person I've run across on Shotgun World that made my Ignore list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Sounds good. Maybe you should advertise for 930/935 service sounds like you are better than the factory.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:02 am 
Field Grade

The 930 JM has chugged through another 250 Federal 'Field & Target Multipurpose' shells, as well as 30 more slugs and buck. It has not malfunctioned and is about 400-450 rounds between cleanings. I love this shotgun now that it's trustworthy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am glad that your JM Pro turned out to be a good gun after the special attention that you gave to it. And I regret that I had too little time to rebuke the unfounded lie that you are a troll. All it takes is a brief examination of your posts to verify that you have owned and cared for many firearms, including numerous Remingtons and Mossbergs both personally and professionally as a LEO, as well as the mentioned 930 Field / Security.

Your accuser is zealous for Mossberg's reputation. I own about 25 Mossbergs but it would never occur to me to ridicule someone as a troll just because he posted something mildly negative about Mossberg. I have read your accuser's posts and he has been busy attacking other forum members. I bet that the moderators will soon intervene.

It is amazing that someone would be so unobservant to not notice that you joined ShotgunWorld over six years ago, but instead concluded that you were anxiously waiting to turn into a troll this month. I am sure that many of us wish that you had not been treated so shabbily. Good luck, sir.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:01 am 
Field Grade

Thank you wfb18.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:19 am 
Limited Edition

I have the 24” version. First thing I did was tear it down to learn and clean. I did not experience anything like the OP. Mine has been flawless with whatever I feed it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:43 pm 
Field Grade

Beauxdacous wrote:
I have the 24” version. First thing I did was tear it down to learn and clean. I did not experience anything like the OP. Mine has been flawless with whatever I feed it.

I'm glad yours has been flawless and that was exactly my experience with the 930 before this one came along; and it was just a QC failure and no reflection on the design- which is a very good one. In fact I've never had a gas gun run as well as these 930s do, when they're put together properly.