ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wood finish
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:58 am 
Field Grade

I was wondering what kind of finish coat iMossberg used on my 1979 New Haven 600at? I put a drop of Ballistol on the wood and it just sat there. Move the gun around and the drop would slide one way or another. It did not get absorb into the wood. The gun was never refinished nor recoated. Has a somewhat gloss sheen. Just want know so I can keep it up the right way. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: wood finish
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:14 am 
Crown Grade

How about asking Mossberg directly? In that way you should get the most authoritative answer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:53 am 
Field Grade

A lot of times experienced forum guys know more about things then the person you get on the phone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:05 pm 
Field Grade

For anyone interested: Mossberg didn't know so I took a shot at Havlin. They said the older ones probably used birch wood which would not absorb oil because of it's hardness. But they were also dipped in a varnish mix and allowed to dry. For maintenance just use a damp cloth followed by a dry one. Furniture polish can be used occasionally.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Very early 500's used walnut into the late 1970's, still do on the 500 Classic. The New Haven was a budget priced version that used birch, they all use a poly type finish.........Birch will absorb TruOil after removing the original factory finish, you need to do a bit more research!

Flannel…..the fabric of old men