ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good idea?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:36 pm 
Field Grade

I cut the 28in c-lect choke barrel on my New Haven 600at to 18in. Is it worth it to re-attach the choke to the cut barrel? I realize that at hd distances it probably would not make a significant difference but I figure any tweaking might fine tune it for different ammo. I believe it is solder on and my son-in-law works with welding, brazing etc. Has anyone done this? All opinions welcome.

Post subject: Re: Good idea?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:10 am 
Field Grade

My guess would be that the barrel diameter is significantly larger at the 18" mark, than it was at 28" and this may complicate refitting the adjustable choke, assuming it can be salvaged. I do like at least some choke in any barrel and you might consider having it threaded for an IC tube.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dead mobster wrote:
I cut the 28in c-lect choke barrel on my New Haven 600at to 18in. Is it worth it to re-attach the choke to the cut barrel? I realize that at hd distances it probably would not make a significant difference but I figure any tweaking might fine tune it for different ammo. I believe it is solder on and my son-in-law works with welding, brazing etc. Has anyone done this? All opinions welcome.

Is it worth it? NO.

Is it possible? Yeah, if someone is rather skilled and has experience at doing this type stuff.

Would I recommend doing it? NO.

Just leave the gun as is. You've got a good short range house sweeper/cleaner. No choke device is needed to "fine tune" it.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:48 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

dead mobster wrote:
I cut the 28in c-lect choke barrel on my New Haven 600at to 18in. Is it worth it to re-attach the choke to the cut barrel?

No.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:54 pm 
Field Grade

SargeMO wrote:
My guess would be that the barrel diameter is significantly larger at the 18" mark, than it was at 28" and this may complicate refitting the adjustable choke, assuming it can be salvaged. I do like at least some choke in any barrel and you might consider having it threaded for an IC tube.

It measures out at .729 inside dia with my digital caliper.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

No...........you ruined it

Flannel…..the fabric of old men