ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 930 slugster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:45 am 
Utility Grade

I’m seriously thinking of buying a 930. First how many years has the 930 been in production? From what I have read so far no real complaints with the 930 other then a few. Has anyone put a rifled slug barrel on one and if so how where the groups? Thanks

Post subject: Re: 930 slugster
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Welcome to ShotgunWorld, Kmino. The Mossberg 930 was first released in 2005.

Just in case you are not determined to buy a 930 Slugster and you already own a 500, Mossberg has a 24" slug barrel with cantilever mount and fully-rifled bore for $40 off, sale price $171.

Likewise, you could instead buy a Mossberg 930 Combo Deer/Waterfowl #85238 which has a 24" fully rifled bore barrel with adjustable rifle sights, and a 28" vent rib barrel with a fiber optic front sight and Accu-chokes. MSRP $714.

Let us assume though that you want to order a Mossberg 930 Slugster #85232 which has a 24" fully rifled bore with a cantilever scope base. It has a black synthetic Monte Carlo stock. MSRP $699. You should only shoot saboted slugs from its barrel, not foster slugs. Your firearms dealer will order a Mossberg 930 Slugster #85232 for you from a distributor. You could also buy one of the several 930 replacement barrels directly from Mossberg.

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 835 Deer/Turkey combo that has a cantilevered barrel. Good luck, sir.

Mossberg is positioning the 930 Slugster for experienced hunters who want rifle-like accuracy from their deer, bear or hog gun, but are not allowed to use a centerfire rifle in the area where they hunt.

Mossberg’s Director of Marketing Dave Miles sums up the 930 as a “fast-shooting, great gas-operated system that helps tame recoil.” Miles also touts the accuracy of the Slugster’s fully rifled barrel...

One of the Slugster’s features that make the barrel change-out so practical is that the rifled barrel comes with a cantilevered scope mount attached directly to it. “[All] 930 hunting receivers are drilled and tapped for a Picatinny rail mount,” notes Miles. “However, the best method for mounting a scope on a deer shotgun is to use a cantilevered barrel like the 930 Slugster with the integral scope base from Mossberg.” The cantilever configuration eliminates any possibility of inaccuracy induced by play between the barrel and receiver.

... I used slugs designed for, or that I knew from experience shot well from rifled bores. The first was Hornady’s Custom Lite. This 2.75" load shoots a saboted 300-grain .50-caliber FTX bullet at a muzzle velocity of 1,575 fps. It must be used with a rifled bore and its average accuracy at 50 yards from the 930 was 1.34 inches.

... in this Mossberg, I tried the Lightfield 3" Hybred Elite slugs. These heavy kickers send a 546-grain slug downrange at a muzzle velocity of 1,730 fps and averaged 1.3 inch groups. The tightest group was a single, ragged, sub-one inch hole fired with the Lightfields.

Post subject: Re: 930 slugster
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:05 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the reply.