ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Receiver Stud on Mossberg 500, and how to date pre-'68?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello,

I have a 'new to me' 500A, pre- GCA '68, so no serial # and one action bar.

In cleaning it, I removed the stock, and found that it had what Remington calls a Receiver Stud screwed into the rear of the receiver, for the stock bolt.

In looking at schematics, and parts lists, I don't find any reference to this.

Was this a normal thing pre-'68?

Or, is this a true rare bird, that someone altered [and counter-sunk the stock to allow the stud to fit]?

Just trying to figure out what I've got, and how to re-stock it: buy a Mossberg stock and drill a countersunk hole for this stud, or toss the stud and replace the stock bolt/nuts with longer one.

Thanks for any tips on changes you can give.

Oh- the safety seems different also. It is metal, with no base plate, and the screw hole in the safety [and safety block] is larger than the screws provided for some of the aftermarket safeties- which drop in and out.

Last difference I note, so far, is that the screw that holds the barrel on has a slot for a screwdriver, and is c-cliped in place, vs the star washer approach with the smooth ones today.

I'd love to figure out how to date it, but the barrel was replaced by a previous owner, so not sure what to do to identify the year.

Thanks

Last edited by bczrx on Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Receiver Stud on Mossberg 500, and how to date pre-'68?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Also your bolt will probably not have a firing pin spring. Free floating and mechanically blocked. I love those. Never was a need for the firing pin spring. I have owned a lot of these guns. The action is always smoother than the double action bar models. {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Neanderthal wrote:
Also your bolt will probably not have a firing pin spring. Free floating and mechanically blocked. I love those. Never was a need for the firing pin spring. I have owned a lot of these guns. The action is always smoother than the double action bar models. {hs#

You are right- I didn't see a firing pin spring. Didn't realize the new ones had a FP spring.

I did note the smoothness compared to a friends' 500 HD gun, bought in 2017.

Almost as smooth as my JC Higgins model 20.

So, are you saying that the receiver stud was normal for a few years?

The parts listing for 1965 didn't show one, so I am wondering if I have a 62 or 63 made one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Can't speak about the receiver stud. Never paid that much attention to that part of the gun I guess. I do like the older ones. Some old Mossberg 500s even had walnut! I used to buy and sell them as a hobby. My wife just yesterday said we should have kept track of all the firearms that went through the house.
I used to have a FFL license, but license or not I would challenge anyone to prove I ever made much of a profit!
It's fun though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Neanderthal wrote:
Can't speak about the receiver stud. Never paid that much attention to that part of the gun I guess. I do like the older ones. Some old Mossberg 500s even had walnut! I used to buy and sell them as a hobby. My wife just yesterday said we should have kept track of all the firearms that went through the house.
I used to have a FFL license, but license or not I would challenge anyone to prove I ever made much of a profit!
It's fun though.

This one has walnut stock/forearm also- although there are some cracks in the head area that I need to epoxy and then refinish the stock. Too beautiful of wood to toss for birch.

I have sold a few firearms, but have kept more than I sold. My wife probably would prefer the opposite.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
bczrx wrote:
... I removed the stock, and found that it had what Remington calls a Receiver Stud screwed into the rear of the receiver, for the stock bolt... is this a true rare bird, that someone altered [and counter-sunk the stock to allow the stud to fit]?

Just trying to figure out what I've got, and how to re-stock it: buy a Mossberg stock and drill a countersunk hole for this stud, or toss the stud and replace the stock bolt/nuts with longer one...

kingjoey wrote:
On a side note, I usually install a stud on Mossbergs, it makes installation/removal of the stock easier and keeps you from accidentally buggering up the soft aluminum threads in the receiver...

I always replace the bolt with a stud, that way you're not threading and unthreading into that aluminum receiver. Also, +1 on the helicoil, don't go up a size, it will hog out a lot of material.

Mossberg never used a receiver stud as used by the Remington 870 receiver, even on the first production guns. Yes, someone altered your gun, possibly because the aluminum receiver threads for the steel stock bolt were cross threaded.

Your idea is the easiest solution: countersink a hole in your new stock to accommodate the non-factory receiver stud.

IMO, sensible people would first oil threads and hand turn any bolt for a few turns to avoid cross treading, and then seat the bolt without over-torqueing it. The world would be a better place if receiver studs were unnecessary. But everyone has seen a dripping faucet where dummies have cranked down on the handles and torn the o-rings.

In case you remove your non-factory receiver stud, determine if the threads of the stud that came out of the receiver are 5/16" coarse threads (18 threads per inch). Hopefully the original receiver threads were not enlarged, although they might need deburring with a tap. Maybe the following will be helpful. Good luck, sir.

wfb18 wrote:
... Mossberg surely uses a 5.5"x5/16" stock bolt. The substitute bolt can have a screwdriver slot, an Allen head, or a 1/2" hex head.

You can get a 5.75" or 6" Allen head bolt from the machine shop where you work and cut it to length to accomodate your single point sling plate. Take out the trigger group before you attach the sling plate and the Hogue stock. Add one extra washer to the washer and the lock washer on a 5.75" bolt, watch as you finish tightening the bolt, and check that it stops flush with the inside of the receiver.

If a non-factory bolt that is too long is fully tightened, the tang safety will break. If you only have a 6" bolt, you can use more washers to keep the bolt from entering the receiver, but if the next owner of your shotgun does not use those extra washers, then he may break the safety. If you want to cut the bolt, you can put a nut on it first, then chase the cut threads cleanly from burrs when you remove the nut afterward.

ETA: Ranger_Rick posted that the bolt is 5.5"x5/16" with 18 thread count, and the hex head bolt grades recommended [grade 5 or grade 8 only] look like this:

Grade 5: Image

Grade 8 (often gold colored): Image

The black alloy steel Allen head bolts from your shop are fine. The higher grade Allen head (socket head) bolts are stainless 18-8 or Grade 8 chrome.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:51 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for all the info everyone,

the stock bolt threaded into the receiver smoothly/evenly, without apparent 'slop' of an oversized/worn thread pattern.

I'll reuse the receiver extension. Thanks again!