ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When did Mossberg mark frame with... .
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a pre-68 Mossberg 500A.

When I got it, it had a Mossberg labeled barrel, that said 28" Modified, but it was cut to 19.25", had a lot of apparent damage to the bore, and major discoloration at the muzzle end [for 3-4" back- too much heat when cutting it off?].

I've replaced the barrel with a new 18.5" cylinder bore one, and foolishly tossed the tomato stake of the other one.

I was on the phone with Cheryl at Havlin Parts, and she told me to check what city was marked on the frame, between the mag tube and the loading port.

Here is the rub.

In that spot, it ONLY says "500A" and under that "12g".

It doesn't say Mossberg, or list any city.

I have seen pictures of this area that do list those details.

Cheryl told me that pre-1963, it would say New Haven and that current ones would say 'North Haven' if I recall accurately.

Yet, mine has no brand name or city on the frame. See?:

It did have that on the barrel, but I got rid of that before making a note of it. stupid me.

Anyone have any insight as to if this helps ID year made?

Maybe a 4 month window of transition between New Haven and North Haven?

Still don't know why it doesn't say Mossberg [or any other make] there though.

Thanks!

Oh- a review of the store-brand equivalents list shows that the other three store brands the 500A [or even the 500] were sold under used different numbers.

The closest was 502, 505, 509, with 310 on another, 550 on a third and 600 on a fourth.

Thus, it isn't likely this was made for a store brand, and they skipped the store label.

Plus, there is no room for the store label above/below this stamp anyway.

Post subject: Re: When did Mossberg mark frame with... .
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Mossberg moved from New Haven to North Haven in 1960, and started delivering orders for the 500 in Oct 1961. I see no reason why any 500 would be stamped New Haven in the loading port area. Likewise every 500 barrel is stamped "Made in U.S.A.", not New Haven nor North Haven, so even if you still had the original barrel, it would reveal nothing. It might have been shortened to discard a C-Lect choke.

Your stamp in the loading port area is not the customary and more sophisticated Mossberg stamp in italics, so I think it was a trade gun that was not sold as a Mossberg gun nor as a store brand gun. Mossberg just wanted to sell as many 500 guns as possible. Your gun could even have been sold to the gubmint.

Your year of manufacture will be 1961-1967. That will have to suffice. Good luck, sir.