ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MOSSBERG 500 SMOOTH BARREL OR STRAIGHT STRIPE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:25 pm 
Field Grade

Hello everyone, I am sorry in advance for my bad English.
I am new to the forum, my name is Erwan, I am 31 years old and I live in Brittany.

I explain my problem, sorry if I'm not in the right topic.

So here, it's been several years now that I have a Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel (I also have other weapons)

Me what I want is a smooth barrel or with low dispersion stripes (shallow straight stripe) I have my hunting license and its validation, so I'm in good standing.

Yet here are several relentless months to look at all the forums, all the online sales site, the arms exchanges, I contacted all the gunsmith I could, but nothing to do not possible to obtain a smooth barrel or low dispersion .

I tried everything, without result, I'm at the end of the line. :(

this is why I appeal to you, maybe you will find a solution, maybe you will make me happy, a good samaritan will pass here maybe. I count on you friends, especially in these difficult times when we have to help each other.

this message is like a bottle in the sea drowned in the despair of finally obtaining this canon so coveted for my beloved mossberg.

please help me !!! thank you in advance :o

Attachment:
20200130_170352.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: MOSSBERG 500 SMOOTH BARREL OR STRAIGHT STRIPE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:43 am 
Field Grade

UP please,
i need help please! I want to be able to practice my passion and protect my family and my proprieter and who is so, like any man who respects himself

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:14 am 
Tournament Grade

Even if you could find one in the US (they are in high demand during the current crisis) I doubt you could get it shipped to France. When you say you have contacted gunsmiths, were you only asking about purchase of a barrel?
I may be wrong but it seems likely a gunsmith that does back-boring for target guns could remove the rifling from your barrel, just an idea. Best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:32 am 
Field Grade

yes thank you i will try her, thank you sincerely i will come back to give news

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:23 am 
Field Grade

what do you think of this type of stripes, would it be, precise with a homogeneous spray by pulling chevrotine 12 grains and 9

Attachment:
20200401_1339nn55.jpg

Attachment:
20200401_134nn053.jpg

Attachment:
20200401_1nn34117.jpg

and the flame hider at the end of the barrel 14cm (5.51 inch) it can be used as a choke to tighten the sheaf and that it is more homogeneous right?

Are flash hides and streaks of this kind acceptable for 12 and 9 grain buckshot?

Otherwise I look at the solution given above but without much success, I persevere, but I lose heart the friends :(

France is a beautiful country, but incredibly complicated and silly for arms. :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:26 am 
Field Grade

here is the flame hider 14 cm (5.51 inch)

Attachment:
20200401_1nn34150.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:49 am 
Field Grade

Toptech x6

I contact my gunsmith, and others but none offers this kind of service, in France they are chilly, everything is complicated. pfffffffff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Sorry to hear that, expect it could happen here if Democrats have their way. Are regulations the same across Europe? How difficult is it to move a shotgun from France to another country, (Belgium, Spain, Italy or Germany) ? You might try posting this question in the Gunsmithing forum, perhaps they can answer your question about straight vs spiral rifling for shooting buckshot.
Wish I had another suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:13 am 
Field Grade

I already know the answer you need a straight stripe or a smooth barrel, but I told myself that my stripes are can be deep and wide, and at the level of the stripe pitch, all its more the hiding place I would have thought that would have could influence the holding of the sheaf in the length. yes in europe it's very complicated, even between countries, my last hope is the USA (which is my dream of elsewhere) it's just a simple canon that I ask, and it's a whole story of paper, of category, prefect, person anti weapons in government ect ... I just want my mossberg to be functional at 100% slug and buckshot and with a rifled barrel so it is not possible. that's why i turn to americain people {hs# USA 4EVER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:08 am 
Tournament Grade

Try contacting this website to see if he can help, he is a well known French clays shooter and may have contacts that can help with back-boring.

https://frenchnick.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:55 pm 
Field Grade

thx for your help toptechX6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:23 pm 
Field Grade

I just contacted the gentleman of the site, and even one of his sponsor (a brand of chokes)
I await their answers
but without much hope, he must have much to do this gentleman. otherwise I am ready to buy a mossberg 500 canon at a high price, very very even, I am ready to pay a lot, MP for this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:43 pm 
Field Grade

Nick Berry answered me, I'm no more advanced.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:28 pm 
Utility Grade

All Mossberg 500 barrels interchange, within the gauge that the frame is made for. Any smoothbore barrel would work for buckshot. Depending on the laws in France, you might just have to buy another shotgun and take the barrel off of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:20 pm 
Field Grade

I tried but I don't have the licesence for a smooth barrel, just for the rifled barrel (stupidity of French law)
I wanted to buy another rifle and exchange the barrels but the gunsmiths no longer produce a straight striped barrel because they are afraid and do not know all the laws, they are chilly what.
I would buy another rifle or a barrel if you have any to sell lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:38 am 
Tournament Grade

If you came here looking to buy a gun or barrel that is illegal for you to own in your country, I believe you came to the wrong place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:27 am 
Field Grade

no I want to know, if with this kind of scratch and the cahe flame the shot of chevrotine would be precise and homogeneous over the distance

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:34 am 
Tournament Grade

sam50bmg357 wrote:
no I want to know, if with this kind of scratch and the cahe flame the shot of chevrotine would be precise and homogeneous over the distance

say what???

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:09 am 
Field Grade

with a rifled barrel like mine (see the photos) and the flame hider (which I think can be used as choke and group the pellets at the exit of the barrel) with this configuration the shooting with the buckshot of 12 or 9 grain would be precise, the homogeneous grouping of pellets, over a long distance (15 or 20 meter) this is my question

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:38 am 
Tournament Grade

I can't quite understand if you want a tighter pattern or more open pattern with buckshot. It sounds like you should just pattern the gun with ammo you plan on using for the apocalypse, it may do what you desire as it is right now.
Mossberg designed it for defense, or holding up liqueur stores, I presume they anticipated shooters might want to use buckshot as well as slugs.