ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OLD single-bar Mossberg 500- date and safety?
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:14 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello,

I have an old single-action bar Mossberg 500, from before the '68 GCA required serial numbers.

Vic Havlin said that the one I have was likely from '62-64, but that there is really no way to know. He mentioned that around '63 they moved manufacturing and changed the stamping on the frame as a result. I believe it was New Haven and North Haven for the towns?

Anyway, you can see from mine that there was NEVER any stamping, and it doesn't look like they had a 'blank' designed in this logo for a stamping.
BTW- the original barrel was rough, chopped to 19" and got tossed as it didn't look safe. It has a modern 28" barrel on it. I mention this as all tracking info connected to the barrel is lost.

This is the frame where the normal model/city/gauge mark is located:

My question is: does anyone have any better ideas about when this was made, due to the roll marks on the receiver? Were ANY sold before they began marking cities, or is Vic's best guess still the best guess?

The original [as far as I know] barrel had Mossberg on it- and this marking doesn't seem to match the store brands- which generally used 550 or some other code, I believe.

Second question- The Safety slide.

Mine is metal, and has no metal plate under it.

I believe it is steel- but could be aluminum. I need to test it. Definitely not plastic.

When did they redesign the safety lever/slide?

Also- the modern aftermarket safety lever/slides don't fit. It seems something more than material changed. Any ideas of what year the safety lever/slide/switch changed to the current configuration?

Thanks for any insights you can share.