ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SA-20 Youth Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,

I am leaning toward the SA-20 youth model for my 9 year old daughter, but I am also considering the Tristar Viper youth combo.

The reason I'm considering the Tristar, even though I am a big Mossberg fan and much prefer the SA-20, is that the combo model comes with two sets of stocks, the youth stock and an adult stock. Also, the Tristar comes with sling swivels installed. We are hunters, not shooters, so sling swivels are a must. I should probably mention that you get all of that for the price of the SA-20.

Does anybody know if the adult stock would fit on the SA-20 youth model? If so, does anybody know where to buy them? I have found several old posts where people were having a hard time finding parts for the SA-20, has that been ironed out?

Aside from the stock I would need a forend cap with sling attachment.

And finally, since both are Armsan guns, are those parts on the SA-20 interchangeable with the Tristar? It appears thoseTristar parts are quite readily available.

Post subject: Re: SA-20 Youth Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

it's all turk crap so pick one and go with it.

i bought a 'mossberg' sa28 bantam for my 10y/o. a decent gun that functions fine if you put enough velo (ie slower reloads aren't reliable in it) through it and feels tightly built albeit with cheap, poorly finished parts.

as a kids gun you have to figure you're gonna lose money when you sell but as cheap as they are who cares.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I hear the 28 gauge are nice, but the 20 will be more flexible for us, at least without going to specialty loads. For general purpose quail/chukar/grouse I often use a 3/4 oz load in my 20 gauge, I guess that's like a 28.

I consider those guns to be expensive! My shotgun was only a little more, a CZ SxS, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. That's my benchmark.

Buried on a thread from 2010 I found some information I was looking for. Turns out the Weatherby SA-08 has interchangeable parts, among them the stock and forend cap with sling stud.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:48 am 
Presentation Grade

I hear you on the sling swivels and would make that my priority. Can be right difficult with some guns to get a sling attached and I don’t like the ‘around the barrel’ solution. Also agree on the 20 being more versatile. No question at all on that.