ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forearm retainer for a 930 - feeding issues
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just bought a used 930 and it is having double feeding and jamming issues with it. Needless to say this is disappointing but I really like the feel of the gun and want to get this fixed.

I noticed that there is a chip off the forearm retainer and when I took it to the gunsmith today, he said that may likely be the cause. I am by far, no where an expert on Mossys so I am curious if this is a likely cause. It doesn't seem to me like it would be the issue as it just looks like some kind of bushing and not shell feeding piece.

My questions are, what does this retainer actually do and does this sound like a cause for my issues?

If this does not sound like the cause, any other thoughts on what is causing the problems?

Let me know your thoughts and thank you.

Post subject: Re: Forearm retainer for a 930 - feeding issues
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:52 pm 
Field Grade

How old is the gun? I would replace the retainer with an aftermarket one. The aftermarket retainer will tighten up the fore end. Then I would tear that gun down and clean it really well. Then lightly oil and reassemble. I would also take the springs out and look for burs on the ends file those down. The shoot it and see if anything changes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Pgeurts wrote:
How old is the gun? I would replace the retainer with an aftermarket one. The aftermarket retainer will tighten up the fore end. Then I would tear that gun down and clean it really well. Then lightly oil and reassemble. I would also take the springs out and look for burs on the ends file those down. The shoot it and see if anything changes.

Thanks for the suggestions and I did what you suggested minus the AM part as I already ordered it. I am not sure but I think it is about ten years old.

The retainer came in yesterday and did not fix the problem. It appears to be the shell stop arm (not sure the official name) and hopefully it isn't that much to fix it. Quite disappointing for a new to me gun to have problems the first time you use it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:28 pm 
Field Grade

How did you clean it? Because if you would have taken the trigger group out that piece would have fallen out?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Pgeurts wrote:
How did you clean it? Because if you would have taken the trigger group out that piece would have fallen out?

I did take the trigger out and cleaned it up and wiped down the chamber area. Nothing fell out. :?:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:48 pm 
Field Grade

Let me look at mine I might be thinking of a 500.