ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gold Reserve super sport
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:59 pm 
Field Grade

https://www.mossberg.com/product/gold-reserve-super-sport-75474/

Anybody else want this new model? It has all the features I want and a great price, but wonder the quality.

The only personal experience i have with turkish o/u guns is a stevens 512 20ga that regularly breaks firing pins. Savage has stood behind the stevens, just a phone call and i get new pins within a few days no charge. the face on the receiver of the 512 is also not very hard as the primers have left a ring around each firing pin hole.

I have been searching for any on hand reviews but have not found any yet. I wonder is this just a silver reserve ii with a face lift, or a higher grade gun made of better materials.

Last edited by 47MolineRTU on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Gold Reserve super sport
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Looks pretty nice. Kinda on the light side. Good for a loaner gun or starter gun, Wonder how much the sell price really is? Would like to get the opinion of someone who shot one and or even patterned one.

Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Combo 32/34"
Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:04 pm 
Field Grade

Midwest gun works has listed at $973.78 https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/75474

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It'll be just another cookie cutter turkish o/u, likely having the same problems you have with the Stevens.

Another year, another turk o/u promising to the the latest and greatest, and eventually proving out to have the same problems as all the turks that came before it: poor POI regulation, soft parts, little to no after-sale parts and service, and eventual discontinuation or cessation of importation that leaves them as orphans.

For the asking price you can buy a used Citori, for another 600 bucks you can buy a brand new Browning CXS.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:07 pm 
Field Grade

I already own a browning CXS with 32 inch barrels. I am considering having stock cut for adjustable comb as sometimes I get cheek slap and I just don't shoot it as good as I should. Unfortunately I live in rural area with no local shop to do the work. Joel Etchens is about 2 hour drive so will probably end up taking to him. I can consistently hit 2 to 3 more birds with my Mossberg 930 and retay masai mara 20ga, than the browning so have been shooting them more lately.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Then there is no reason to burn $1k plus on one of these Mossbergs, you should be upgrading from the Browning (when you're ready to make a move), not downgrading.

Another option would be a Precision Fit Stock for your Browning, that'd give you an adjustable comb, adjustable pad, LOP adjustment, and recoil reduction.

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:36 pm 
Field Grade

Is it worth putting a 1300-1400dollar stock on the cxs or am I better off trading it in for a caesar guerini or fabarm? I have never shot either. I have shot a 686 beretta but it did not fit me at all

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Absolutely. At any rate, the PFS is a low/no risk investment, if you buy one new for $1300 and don't like it, you can get $900-$1k back out of it, if you buy one used for $900 to $1k and don't like it, you can get ALL of your $ back out of it.

With that setup you would legitimately have a lifetime gun (assuming you take care of it and do routine maintenance). The Citori has a 50 year legacy, and any gunsmith that is qualified to work on over/unders will have parts for and can work on a Citori. The Citori and it's subvariants are basically the Honda Accord of the gun world, not fancy, but a good value for the $ and nearly bulletproof.

I wouldn't consider the CG or Fabarm to be enough of an upgrade in quality to justify the additional $. As far as I'm concerned, either would be a nearly a lateral move quality wise, at 2x the $.

In my opinion, the CXS/CXT is by FAR the best value for the dollar in clay target shotguns today!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:02 pm 
Utility Grade

So... did anyone actually made the purchase and running it? I would really like to know if the Gold Reserve series is a viable option.