ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steel shot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Two years ago I purchased a 3inch chamber 28inch vent rib multi purpose barrel that came with 3 choke tubes. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can use steel shot in this barrel.
The Mossberg site does not say specifically if it does or does not on the web site.

Post subject: Re: Steel shot
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Which model are you referring to?

Most likely if it's a newer manufactured gun, you can shoot steel out of the barrel if the choke tubes specify they can be used with steel shot. You don't want to use a full choke with steel. If have questions regarding the use of steel in that model call or email them.

There's always other non toxic types of shot that are similar to lead that can be used in place of steel that would be safe in barrels that do not recommend the use of steel shot. Although, this type of shot is normally more expensive than steel.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:58 pm 
Utility Grade

it is a 500 made in 83. But I purchased the 28 inch barrel two years ago from mossberg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:39 pm 
Field Grade

You can use most steel in the modified and improved cylinder chokes. I try not to shoot steel through a full choke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:03 pm 
Limited Edition

BC45 wrote:
Two years ago I purchased a 3inch chamber 28inch vent rib multi purpose barrel that came with 3 choke tubes. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can use steel shot in this barrel.
The Mossberg site does not say specifically if it does or does not on the web site.

Yes you can use steel shot in your choke tube barrel. Think of the chokes throwing a tighter pattern with steel than lead. The improved cylinder lead choke should give a pattern close to modified with steel shot and the modified lead choke should give a pattern close to full with steel shot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

https://www.mossberg.com/service/faqs/

Can I shoot steel shot through all barrels?

No, not all barrels. Barrels with an interchangeable Accu-Choke™ or Accu-Mag™ choke tube system, yes (with proper tubes installed.) However, steel shot is not recommended for older "C-Lect Choke®" or fixed-choke barrels.

http://randywakeman.com/