ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mmossberg 500 vs Remington 870 ?
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:09 pm 
Utility Grade

I've owned Remingtons for years but it appears they are done and I wanted to get a shotgun for my great-nephew so I bought a Mossberg 500 20ga. I like it, but the first thing I noticed was that it is muzzle heavy compared to Remingtons. The obvious reason is the long magazine tube. Why such a long tube? Both Remington and Mossbergs hold five rounds, what is the design difference? Laying one beside the other their forearms match in length and position but the Mossberg tube is 3 inches longer? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Mmossberg 500 vs Remington 870 ?
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:46 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The 870 has a steel receiver . . . and that is what makes it better balanced and smoother swinging.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

westpa wrote:
I've owned Remingtons for years but it appears they are done and I wanted to get a shotgun for my great-nephew so I bought a Mossberg 500 20ga. I like it, but the first thing I noticed was that it is muzzle heavy compared to Remingtons. The obvious reason is the long magazine tube. Why such a long tube? Both Remington and Mossbergs hold five rounds, what is the design difference? Laying one beside the other their forearms match in length and position but the Mossberg tube is 3 inches longer? Thanks.

To improve balance you may be able to place many extra washers on the buttstock bolt. Carefully measure the hole in the buttstock and get washers slightly smaller and then stack them up to get the proper balance. You might need to stack the washers almost the complete length of the bolt. I usually add an extra nut that locks those washers in all the way back to the head of the bolt. Just make sure that you leave enough room for the bolt to properly secure the stock to the receiver without any interference from the washers and nut added for balance.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies. I have no problem with the weight forward of the Mossberg, though its balance could be better and I am aware the Remington is steel and the Mossberg Aluminium alloy. I am curious as to why the Mossberg needs a 4 round magazine that is 3 inches longer than the 4 round magazine of the Remington? That 3 inch length is before the 3/4 inch long magazine screw assembly. The 20 ga Mossberg weighs just 3 ounces more than my 20 ga LW Remington. If Mossberg could shorten the tube they would have a lighter and better balanced gun. I have looked at a parts diagram for each and can't see what is different? It is no big deal, I'm just curious.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:56 am 
Tournament Grade

The 870 has a four round tube, four plus one for a total of five. The Mossberg has a five round tube, five plus one for a total of six.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:14 am 
Utility Grade

bearman49709 thank you. I must admit to a bit of embarrassment here but I swear I looked that up and thought it said 4 in the magazine capacity but the manual clearly says 5 but for 3-inch shells. That is the answer for sure. Thank you again. I'll have to try and be more diligent next time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:02 pm 
Field Grade

that is correct. my mossberg 500 turkey model with 20" barrel (5 +1) is my favorite shotgun. its a goose slayer for sure too. after hunting with my 20" barrel i could never go back to a 28" barrel like i used for many years. the barrel is only about 4" longer than the mag tube, it gets on target fast and is easy to maintain the lead on targets. i no longer own any remingtons, i do still have a benelli autoloader, but the mossy is my go to.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:26 am 
Presentation Grade

Do you use ear plugs?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:48 pm 
Field Grade

papillonkirby wrote:
Do you use ear plugs?

i do not wear earplugs when hunting with the non ported 20" barrel, i did have a 28" ported barrel that required ear plugs even with with light dove loads, opening day of dove season my ears were ringing like crazy with that barrel, i never had that happen with any non ported barrel before...needless to say that ported barrel is gone and i will never buy a ported barrel or even a ported choke again, my ears are happy now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

kawaboy-zx11 wrote:
that is correct. my mossberg 500 turkey model with 20" barrel (5 +1) is my favorite shotgun. its a goose slayer for sure too. after hunting with my 20" barrel i could never go back to a 28" barrel like i used for many years. the barrel is only about 4" longer than the mag tube, it gets on target fast and is easy to maintain the lead on targets. i no longer own any remingtons, i do still have a benelli autoloader, but the mossy is my go to.

I've never used my 20" barrel on ducks or geese, but it was fantastic for jump shooting quail this past season. One of my dove spots is kinda tightly tucked under some trees. I'm gonna try the 20" barrel in that spot this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:44 am 
Field Grade

i think you will really enjoy using the shorter barrel. for some reason i have always thought i needed a big long 28" barrel for everything, but i have been shooting everything much better with the shorter barrel. i dont think ill ever use any longer barrel for anything, and with the turkey choke it throws an outstanding turkey pattern too. i buy and sell a lot... not many shotguns are keepers but this one sure is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:15 am 
Tournament Grade

kawaboy-zx11 wrote:
i think you will really enjoy using the shorter barrel. for some reason i have always thought i needed a big long 28" barrel for everything, but i have been shooting everything much better with the shorter barrel. i dont think ill ever use any longer barrel for anything, and with the turkey choke it throws an outstanding turkey pattern too. i buy and sell a lot... not many shotguns are keepers but this one sure is.

I agree with you on barrel length. Shorter seems to be better for hunting. I have a very lightweight 26” O/U in twenty gauge which isn’t much longer than the Mossy 500 with the 20” barrel. It’s an absolute bird murderer for jump shooting.