ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEW GAS GUN TODAY! Now how do I keep the damn thing clean?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Very exited to go pick up my new Mossberg SA-20!!! Can't wait to go smack some clays and winged amnimals!!!

I own a whole bunch of shotguns, but this is actually my first gas gun. If someone could give me their 2 cents (Randy?...) on exactly what I should do to it BEFORE I shoot it, as well as a quick breakdown of routine maintenance, I'd would really appreciate it.

A few thoughts that might guide your response: I reload and I plan on throwing a few different powders through her- some dirtier than others: 800x, Longshot, 700x, Green Dot, (Red Dot?), International Clays, HS6, Unique, and possibly Herco.

Post subject: Re: NEW GAS GUN TODAY! Now how do I keep the damn thing clea
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Try a search on youtube for Chris Crash. She has an excellent, detailed video on the process.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:22 pm 
Field Grade

My sa20 I bought this year took around 300 rounds before it cycled 7/8 ounce target loads reliability. Read the manual. It is a pretty easy gun to maintain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:18 pm 
Field Grade

I have the 20 gauge Tristar version of your gun. I haven't put any magnum rounds through it yet but it has gone through 3 boxes of Aguila high velocity #8's without a hitch, ejecting the empties about 6' out. Federal #8's and Estate shells still stovepipe. Remington game loads also work very well for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

The gun was great on first firing! 1 box of Federal 1oz field load all fired and cycled. Box of 7/8th ounce Winchester Super Speed all fired and cycled. My green dot 7/8th loads all cycled with AA hulls. It hung up on my Winchester Universal hull reloads, but hear aren’t the greatest hull for reloading, so I’m not holding it against the gun, and they run fine in my 20 gauge O/U, so lesson learned.

Very happy with the SA-20. Can’t wait to pop some dove with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Your owner's manual will have some tips on cleaning it. I know, real men don't look at OEM manuals but you might want to start there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
Your owner's manual will have some tips on cleaning it. I know, real men don't look at OEM manuals but you might want to start there.

I agree with you. The owners manual helped out a lot actually, especially in take down and putting it back together.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:17 pm 

You want to keep it clean?
Clean it, Lubricate it. Put it in a plastic sack and vacuum pack it.
Put it in a back corner of your closet and forget about it.

Seriously, It's a gun and burns powder that leaves crud, it will get dirty. Shoot it, clean the crud off and repeat, a lot!

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

This gun is freakin’ awesome!!! Great balance, light weight, light recoil, cycles well, easy to remove the tube blocker, and it just looks really nice with the wood stock. I’m already conspiring how to obtain a SA-28...