Shotgun Forum banner

Mossberg in a Nutshell

89K views 46 replies 37 participants last post by  Pine Creek/Dave 
#1 ·
Company Summary Shotguns are the specialty of small arms maker O.F. Mossberg & Sons. In addition to making shotguns for hunters, home protection, and target shooting, Mossberg produces shotguns designed exclusively for use by the military and law enforcement agencies. Sister company Maverick Arms also makes shotguns. The company was founded in 1919 and is the oldest family owned and operated firearms maker in the US.

Company Facts
2005 Revenue (USD): 24.60M
2005 Employees: 500
7 Grasso Ave.
North Haven, CONNECTICUT 06473
USA - Map
+1-203-230-5300 (Phone)
203-230-5475 (Fax)
http://www.mossberg.com

Management
Alan Iver Mossberg CEO

Chris Paradise SVP, Sales and Marketing

#3 ·
Maverick 88 is basically a Mossberg 500, but priced 40-50 bucks less. Mav. is always black synthetic, I believe (no wood or camo). Shoots 2.75 and 3 inch shells. Barrels and most parts are interchangeable with the 500. The Maverick Division of Mossberg is in Eagle Pass, TX. This is also where the big Mossberg warehouse is where they ship from. Mossberg has its HQ in Connecticutt.

500 is the baseline Mossy. Pump. Shoots 2.75 and 3 inch shells. Has a dizzying array of finishes (wood, various camos, synthetic black) and accessories - both Mossy and after market. Chokes are compatible with both Mav. and 535, I believe. Comes in several combo packages - do this for sure to save money. Mav. and 500 barrels ARE NOT compatible with the 535 - only choke tubes.

535 is basically a 500 but with a few changes to shoot the big 3.5 shells. Shoots 2.75, 3, and 3.5 inch shells. Comes in wood, camo, and synthetic black. However, all extra barrels I have seen are always camo - no blue (could be ugly on a wood gun with blue steel finish). I just bought my 535 (yesterday in fact) but the action seems to work differently from the 500. When I push the action button, pump, and shoot again, the action button stays depressed and you can keep shooting and pumping without depressing the action again. (This may be a flaw...need to check it out...could be safety hazard). This gun also has several combo packages.

Also check out the 835 pump model. This was the first gun to shoot 3.5 inch shells. Mossy and Federal collaborated back in 1988 to open a new magnum market in 3.5 inch shells. The 835 is a heavy duty 500 (no parts interchangeable, however) with an over-bored barrel approaching 10-gauge in diameter. This supposedly reduces recoil and improves patterns. However, makes slug shooting difficult - get a rifled barrel for 835 slugging. 835 Cost is not too much more than a 500. Also combo packages available.

The 535 is only 2-3- years old. I do not know how it holds up under the 3.5 inch shell pounding.

All above are pump guns. To get semi-automatic, get a 930 or a 935. Model 930 shoots 2.75 and 3 inch shells. If you have really big geese where you live, or just like to get your shoulder pounded all to pieces, get the 935, which shoots all 3 shell sizes. The 3.5 inch shell is a monster. Actually I have to this point only shot a 3.5 inch shell one time, in my new Benelli Super Nova. Even though the Super Nova has a "Comfortech" stock, it kicked me like a mule.

#5 ·
My wife has not grown up around guns, I had a .22 and a 16 ***** pump as a teenager, when we got married she didn't want guns in the house so I sold them, then in 2003 my son was wanting to go hunting :eek: :D that made my day agian. So we started looking for a shotgun he had been given a 12 ***** from his grandfather, so that left me looking, looked at a number of them some more than once, came across Mossberg since I am left handed and liked where the safety is, I bought an Mossberg 500 12 *****, then the mossberg 535ATS came out so I traded my 500 for it, took it out shot a few rounds, the xtra full turkey choke 3 inch, then i shot a 3.5 steel shot can't remember the load it was like 4 shot 2 ounce I think, that left a mark on my shoulder, my son was 16 and 6'3'' he shot the same load with modified choke handed me the gun and said he will not shoot my 535 again and told me to enjoy it, I can handle a good amount of recoil but that was too much for me, since I have shot alot of 3 inch 4-6 shot as well as the 3 inch turkey mags, So I traded it off and as you said the Maverick is solid synthetic black and so I thought that would be good to have, it is interchangeable with the 500, so when I go to the sporting stores for something I tell them what I have they say we don't have anything for that, I tell them that I need a 500 part, basically all my 2 cents worth but no matter what ever happens I am staying with mossberg, all of them functioned like they are to be, the setup about the release lever is that when the guns fire they are set up so that all you have to do is pump and insert another shell to shoot all in one motion is another reason why I like the Mossberg brands. My son is looking into a mossberg as well now. I have not shot the 835 or the autoloaders yet can't make a comment on those yet, thank you for letting me share my experiences.
Eddie

#10 ·
/

I swear by the Mossberg 500.

However, I don't think it necessary to use a shotgun chambered for 3 1/2. That's a bit too much. If one does use it, a shoulder recoil pad is sensible.

A shotgun chambered for 3" will do anything one wants, and a 2 3/4" is usually plenty good enough.

When all one needs to improve that is an Extended Turkey Choke, it seems the 3 1/2" is unnecessary.

Just what I've learned about recoil, patterning at distance, and so on.

/

#11 ·
I agree with Calisto.
I'll take my Maverick 88 in 12ga anyday.
3 1/2" is an overkill, unless you're going up against large, vicious animals. Then for protection its logical. Other than that, its kind of pointless. IMO, anyway.
I've never needed a 3" shell for anything. 2 3/4" slugs take down deer with ease. Everything else is a piece of cake.

Go Mossberg!

M.S.

#13 ·
Irish Setter said:
You can include me as a Mossberg fan. I own a lot of shotguns, and I shoot most of them occasionally. The gun I hunt with the most is a Mossberg .410. I do a lot of squirrel hunting in the fall and winter, and that little pump is my favorite.
I just bought a Mossberg 500e (.410) this week to go along with my other 8 Mossbergs. I bought it mainly for the grandkids and for pests around the homestead. It is actually the most attractive of all of my Mossbergs, very sleek and graceful. It is the only shotgun my wife calls "pretty"!

#15 ·
AaronSpence said:
I have a Model 283TB .410 Bolt action New Haven Mossberg, need help on finding parts and there's somebody who said it might chamber 30-06 ammo. I don't know if that's possible any ideas if that's a real deal? Also looking at possibly replacing the stock as finances allow.
DON'T DO IT !!
Never fire ANY gun with the incorrect ammo... you're shotgun was designed to fire .410 shotshells or slugs..... a .30-06 probably wouldn't even chamber, the round would fall out...

#16 ·
AaronSpence said:
I have a Model 283TB .410 Bolt action New Haven Mossberg, need help on finding parts and there's somebody who said it might chamber 30-06 ammo. I don't know if that's possible any ideas if that's a real deal? Also looking at possibly replacing the stock as finances allow.
If you want a gun that does fire more than just the .410, then get a Judge. This revolver will chamber a .410 shell or a .45LC.
Do not try this in your shotgun EVER! PLEASE!

#17 ·
I concur. Rifle shells from a shotgun are a definite NO NO! The barrels, chambers and actins aren't made for such pressures.

That being said, I know of a guy who shoots 410s from a 45/70 rifle. He hates squills, particularly when deer hunting. I've seen the results. It works prety good at short distances.

HWD

#18 ·
No i've not tried anything like that, thank you for the information i also contacted Mossberg and asked them. They said basically the same thing as you guys, there's some ditz out there saying over Answer.com that it's possible. I have no interest in destroying a decent shotgun and my face at the same time.

#20 ·
I think what he's talking about, I saw on u tube. It showed a 410 pistol using 45 acp ammo by using an o ring. It also said that the casing of a 30 06 could be cut down, reloaded as a shotgun shell and be used in the same manner with an o ring. THIS WILL BLOW UP A SHOTGUN.

#21 ·
Is there any more to know about the Maverick 88 vs. the Mossberg 500?

As I understand it, if the furniture on both is synthetic and the finish is blue, then aside from the difference in safety location & design, the 88 is literally an identical clone of the 500 (except for markings)? Same receiver, same bolt, all the same internal parts in the receiver, mag tubes, same assembly line/factory, etc.?

I'm wondering... if one preferred the safety placement on the 88, would buying an 88 give you the same quality and functional performance of the 500?

#22 ·
My first shotgun was a 1992 Mossberg 500. Sold it when I went through a phase when I "absolutely" needed a side by side shotgun. Regretted it soon after.

A while later, I sold the SxS to fund another Mossy. Found a beautiful Mossy 500 in a Baltimore pawn shop for the right price and fell in love with it. Discovered after e-mailing Mossberg that is was manufactured in 1971. For a 39 year old gun, she still looks brand new!

#23 ·
I have gone full circle, got my first Mossberg in th 60's, went through a BrowningA-5, BPS, Winchester Model 50 and Super-X, Remington 1100, 11-87 and 870, High sStandard Auto, Ithaca 37, 51 and SKB 900, Benelli Montefeltro and now back to Mossberg. Have two now, a 1967 500 in 20 ***** and a 500 in 12 gauge. I still had the smooth bore slug barrel from my first 500 so thats what I use for deer. Most guys who look down on our Mossy's probably never owned one!

Reactions: skymaster
#25 ·
First gun I ever shot was a bolt action 410 mossberg, that was 42 years ago.It has taken many rabbits over the years, and when my oldest grandson gets a little older(7yrs old) it will be handed over to him. Got a 500 in my collection and am getting a 935 this weekend. Hopefully the 935 performs as well as the other 2! Read alot of not so kind reviews on the 935 but hoping for the best! Happy holidays to all! Tom

#26 ·
DHart said:
Is there any more to know about the Maverick 88 vs. the Mossberg 500?

As I understand it, if the furniture on both is synthetic and the finish is blue, then aside from the difference in safety location & design, the 88 is literally an identical clone of the 500 (except for markings)? Same receiver, same bolt, all the same internal parts in the receiver, mag tubes, same assembly line/factory, etc.?

I'm wondering... if one preferred the safety placement on the 88, would buying an 88 give you the same quality and functional performance of the 500?
Yes. Dhart, you and I are both Winchester 1300 lovers. The Maverick 88 has the same exact "controls" placement as the M1300. (forward safety, rear/left slide release). However, the M88 safety is tucked up higher than the M1300. The M88 has a small button cross bolt safety, where as the M1300 has a large button cross bolt safety (mid mounted/front trigger guard). However, the M88 has the desired "up" shell lifter, and otherwise (except the "integrated forearm") a model 500.
People will tell you, "oh, the Maverick is made in Mexico!". Bs. The Maverick is made in the same plant as the 500. They BOTH use non-USA made parts (Barrel metal is exported to mexico, formed into barrels, then imported back into US). Yes, Mossberg is NOT a true a "made in the usa" as they claim...but rather "assembled in the USA. None the less... it is a phenominal shotgun which is MOSTLY American made, for a great price, and functions great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.