ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Valentine to my M37
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dear Model 37--

You were made just before I was born (1951), but you're still going strong :wink: You're always there for me: ducks, pheasants, quail, bunnies, even a backup deer gun! Thanks for being in my life :lol:

Love,

Jeff23

Jeff23
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
National Rifle Association

Post subject: Re: A Valentine to my M37
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:40 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Emotional and heart felt, just can't contain myself. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yes...yes....I do love my M37 20ga........32 years old....and still faithful....gee.....that is better than some people's wives!!!!!
Keep up the good work Ithaca!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rat, yours is a mere youngster. Mine is 56 years old, and still faithful after all these years.

Oh......are we talking guns or wives?......Well, either way.....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:20 pm 
Limited Edition

I love my Model 37 too. Mine was made in 1952 I think.

Do you guys shoot steel in yours? I don't, but is it okay to do so?

Mine's got a full choke barrel, and I've just been hesitant to shoot steel through it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:49 am 
Diamond Grade

Hi Germster--

I haven't shot steel in mine (it has a modified choke), don't intend to do so either. I shoot bismuth No-Tox for waterfowl, but if you want to kill lots of ducks I know it can get expensive. Still, my 37 has nostalgic value and I like to be nice to it :) The bismuth loads are made to be compatible with older guns. Even if the gun could take the pressures, steel and a full choke don't generally mix well. :) Mine's a 16 ga and it drops a duck nicely with bismuth #5's if I wait for a decent shot. I hasten to add that I'm no great wingshot --I've just learned to wait and not shoot till I'm pretty sure.

Best,

Jeff23

Jeff23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:59 pm 
Limited Edition

Jeff23 wrote:
Hi Germster--

I haven't shot steel in mine (it has a modified choke), don't intend to do so either. I shoot bismuth No-Tox for waterfowl, but if you want to kill lots of ducks I know it can get expensive. Still, my 37 has nostalgic value and I like to be nice to it :) The bismuth loads are made to be compatible with older guns. Even if the gun could take the pressures, steel and a full choke don't generally mix well. :) Mine's a 16 ga and it drops a duck nicely with bismuth #5's if I wait for a decent shot. I hasten to add that I'm no great wingshot --I've just learned to wait and not shoot till I'm pretty sure.

Best,

Jeff23

Thanks for the info. I'll not shoot steel in my Model 37. I've not shot it at any ducks, ever; but if I do, I'll shoot bismuth.

I've never shot a bismuth shell in anything!

As for your prowess shooting ducks. I look with a jaundiced eye at anyone who calls themselves expert. It's for other people to call yourself that. There's no shame in missing a few, or even a lot; the fun, at least to me; is getting out there and giving it a try.

What I love about duck hunting is sitting in the blind BSing with the other hunters. The birds are secondary; or at least almost.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ah, a man after my own heart-- you own an old shotgun and you're there to hunt. I don't begrudge anyone the right to take a limit of birds, but I'm usually happy with enough for dinner for me and my wife. A brace of ducks is dandy, as far as I'm concerned. Same with fish :) I've been shooting since I was nine or ten, for about forty years--some years quite alot and some years not as much. It's like any sport--you have a really good day shooting and then you can try to chase it on a not-so-hot one. That's what makes it fun, huh?

Best,

Jeff23

Jeff23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:09 am 
Limited Edition

Jeff23 wrote:
Ah, a man after my own heart-- you own an old shotgun and you're there to hunt. I don't begrudge anyone the right to take a limit of birds, but I'm usually happy with enough for dinner for me and my wife. A brace of ducks is dandy, as far as I'm concerned. Same with fish :) I've been shooting since I was nine or ten, for about forty years--some years quite alot and some years not as much. It's like any sport--you have a really good day shooting and then you can try to chase it on a not-so-hot one. That's what makes it fun, huh?

Best,

Jeff23

I concur. I trout fish too. Around here most guys fly fish and when they catch one they throw it back......now I suppose that's just fine, but I fish to eat a few.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:33 pm 
I now own quite a few shotguns but #1 is still my M37 16ga, solid rib, made in 1946. She shows a lot of wear but it is honest wear from many years of service to my father and now to me. She is as smooth as fine whiskey!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:10 am 
Diamond Grade

There you go-- yet another man who has discovered the finest pumpgun ever made. :)

Jeff23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:10 am 
Diamond Grade

First gun that I could call "all mine" was a M37 featherlight. She still looks like new, as I have cared for that gun, more than any others I have gotten over the years. She still has no recoil pad, and can punish you after a few rounds of trap shooting! I used her mostly for ducks, grouse, and deer.

I have been advised that on no uncertain terms, should I attempt to put steel through her full choke barrel. It was suggested by a gunsmith that she could be re-choked, to a size that would not be a problem with steel. I just didn't have the heart to change her from its original state.. :(

I love her just the way she is! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:53 pm 
Limited Edition

12GA guy wrote:
First gun that I could call "all mine" was a M37 featherlight. She still looks like new, as I have cared for that gun, more than any others I have gotten over the years. She still has no recoil pad, and can punish you after a few rounds of trap shooting! I used her mostly for ducks, grouse, and deer.

I have been advised that on no uncertain terms, should I attempt to put steel through her full choke barrel. It was suggested by a gunsmith that she could be re-choked, to a size that would not be a problem with steel. I just didn't have the heart to change her from its original state.. :(

I love her just the way she is! :lol:

And so you should. Don't mess with the choke; shoot bismuth if you need to hunt waterfowl with it. Sure they are expensive but your nice old 37 deserves the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Needless to say, I totally agree with you guys. :) I wonder how many other older shotguns have fans as devoted as we are to the M37? Let's see: Win M12's I'm sure, Browning A-5's, some of the doubles--prolly Ithacas there too, especially Fluesies. What else?

Jeff23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Jeff23 wrote:
Needless to say, I totally agree with you guys. :) I wonder how many other older shotguns have fans as devoted as we are to the M37? Let's see: Win M12's I'm sure, Browning A-5's, some of the doubles--prolly Ithacas there too, especially Fluesies. What else?

I have an older Model 12 in 20 gauge. It's very light and swings nicely; it's not too light.

But every now and then when I shuck out a spent shell, it kicks out the next loaded one that is in the magazine too. Then I close the bolt on an empty chamber.

Still like the gun though, but I think a Model 37 is a better gun, but the finish on the 12 is better.