ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Ithaca Owner
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:07 pm 
Field Grade

I bought my 1st Ithaca today. It's an older model 37. I was just wanting something for home defense and maybe a little rabbit hunting in the future. I had originally looked at a 1897 Winchester pump but it sold before I had a chance to buy it. It was going for $350. I don't know the year the Ithaca was made as the gun is still at the dealer. His gunsmith is gonna cut the barrel down to 19" for me. It is the old style with the "slam fire" capability so that's cool. It's in good shape. The bluing is a little worn but mechanically it makes up for it. He was asking $200 for it and I picked it up for $180. He also carries a 100% warranty on anything he sells so I don't think I did too bad. This is the 1st pump I have owned in a couple of years. I used to have an old beat up Remington but my ex wife relieved me of it. One thing I really like about the Ithaca is the bottom ejection. Just one less hole for gunk to get in. I can't wait to take it out and blast some beer cans.

Post subject: Re: New Ithaca Owner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:57 pm 
Field Grade

Where is the serial number on the old model 37's? Is it the number on the bottom of the barrel by the reciever? The number there is 61XX, the number on the front of the reciever has an "S" and below it 61XX again. Is this the serial number? Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:05 pm 
All of my Ithaca 37 have the SN# on the right hand side of the receiver, just above the trigger, but my oldest one was made about 1965-ish (all post-SN#855,000). By ATF regs, the SN# must atleast be on the firearms receiver / frame as that is the controlled part. If a mfg'r wants to also put it on the other parts, thats up to them, but it must be some where on the receiver.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:11 pm 
Field Grade

yeah, my '74 is on the safety side of the reciever. Does that '65 that you have swap barrels as easily????

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:09 am 
Barrels swap fine. I have receivers that range in age from '65-ish to 1986 and all barrels interchange. I have had some barrels that wouldn't fit (bought on e-bay) and can only assume they were for pre-855,000 receivers. (BTW- Would sell these reasonably to anyone who's interested...) In about 1963, Ithaca decided to go with the interchangable barrels. All post-855,000 receivers (mfg'd in '63 and later) are supposed to have this feature.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mr. Ithaca--

PM me if you are still interested in selling one of the pre 855 etc. barrels.

Also, for all interested in date of manufacure,the Ithaca site has a list of ser #'s and years the guns were produced-- http://www.ithacagun.com/support/serial/

Jeff23

Jeff23
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
National Rifle Association

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:08 pm 
Field Grade

It looks like mine was made in 1938. Still looks pretty good though.