ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strange 37
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:40 am 
Field Grade

I have a question for this board. I have a number of M37's (all DSPS, Parkerized) that range in age from late '60's to 1986. The one I have that was made in '86 (371886XXX) is factory set up as a 7+1 riot gun with a brass bead. Upon comparing it to my other '37's, I noticed that the receiver is about 1/4" longer than the others. The barrel is stamped 2 3/4" but the receiver is approximately 3"-shell length. I would not dream of putting 3-inchers in it, even if I found a riot barrel chambered for 3"mag. I am aware that Ithace started producing guns with 3" chambers with the '87 series. However, I am wondering why Ithaca would produce a receiver that is 3" size and not have the barrel correspond. I have e-mailed Ithaca asking about this and gotten the generic "You gun was made in 1986. Hope you enjoy it...Blah, Blah, Blah" response. My biggest concern is parts. Recently at a 3-gun match, shells started jumping the left shell stop and dumping them on the ground or tieing up the action. I'd replace the shell stop but since the receiver is longer, I am concerned that the replacement shell stop will be too short (for a typical 37) and that a '87 shell stop might be too long. Has anybody else seen this? :?

Post subject: Re: Strange 37
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:40 pm 
Utility Grade

my featherlight dumps shells like yours occasionally. I don't know the answer to your quesion, but mine is a 23/4" chamber and I was wondering where to get the parts and how to fix the shell dumping problem. Thanks if you can help

Post subject: Re: Strange 37
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:12 pm 
Field Grade

Ran into this mostly with heavily used 37s at the shop I used to work in. Old timer gunsmith told me to put in a new magazine tube spring. Worked for me every time. Might be worth a try on yours. Good Luck.