ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is the SKB really an Ithaca?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:15 am 
Diamond Grade

For those who are lovers of the Ithaca's.

Can we really count the Century, and other SKB's with the Ithaca name attatched, as a real Ithaca?

Whats your opinion on this? :?:

Post subject: Re: Is the SKB really an Ithaca?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:00 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I'm sure that you know that several company's don't produce their own shotguns. Weatherby is produced by SKB, Charles Daly uses various manifactures, Browning Citori's are made in Japan. The additional cost to tool up company's to produce shotguns would just go to increase the sale price. The outside importers have years of experience in producing very fine shotguns. I once had a Ithaca XL-900 shotgun, even though it was made overseas by SKB the gun fired about 50,000 rounds before it finally wore out and it would have cost more than the original price to have it rebuilt.
I'm also sure that different manifactures add their own designs and options before a company is contracted to produce them. Just imagine that during World War II - 1911's, M-1 Carbines, Browning Hi-Powers were made by various other company's but would you call them clones. No they were built using the came specifications as the original. Shotguns are no different in my opinion. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:52 pm 
Crown Grade

This issue should make everyone happy because they can hold their own opinion on it.

I consider SKB's to be SKB's. The importer may differ but they are still products of SKB. I am pretty sure the designs were developed by SKB.

They also imported guns like the Tikka, Perazzi and BSA rifles for a while and I tend to think of these as there own brands, not as Ithacas.

I owned an Ithaca SKB 600 trap gun in the 1970's and even then I began thinking of it as an SKB.

The SKB company, founded in 1855 pre-dates Ithaca which was founded 25 years later in 1880.

Ithaca began having their name put on them and importing them in 1966 and they ceased to list them in their 1979 catalogue.

IMHO, this takes nothing away from SKB's which are still brought into the U.S. If SKB's had distributer and service available here, I would likely have bought one by now, again. They don't make the Century single trap any more, which is too bad, I always liked them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:33 pm 
Field Grade

Claydust wrote:
IMHO, this takes nothing away from SKB's which are still brought into the U.S. If SKB's had distributer and service available here, I would likely have bought one by now, again. They don't make the Century single trap any more, which is too bad, I always liked them.

I may not be understanding you fully, and excuse me if I'm misinterpereting anything, but SKB does have a distributor, as well as service. Guns Unlimited in Omaha, NE imports and distributes SKB, there are various SKB certified (or authorzied in some way) gunsmiths. In Sioux Falls, SD Gary's Gun Shop has a guy that is the designated SKB guy for the area.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yep, Collin has got it right about the SKB's. They have numerous authorized service centers in the US. They are also reported to have some of the BEST service too. Better start shopping for that new SKB. :D I hear that the 85TSS is one super gun. :D

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:04 am 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Yep, Collin has got it right about the SKB's. They have numerous authorized service centers in the US. They are also reported to have some of the BEST service too. Better start shopping for that new SKB. :D I hear that the 85TSS is one super gun. :D

Our buddy "Claydust" is Canadian. Their gun distribution network is different...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:48 pm 
Crown Grade

WinM12 wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

Our buddy "Claydust" is Canadian. Their gun distribution network is different...

WinM12

Thanks, your assessment of the situation is esentially right on with one correction, it should read;

Their SKB distribution network is non-existant

I have contacted SKB in Omaha in the past, they do not have anyone routinely taking shipments of SKB's here.

This, unfortunatey, is the way things are here with SKB which removes it as an option for most of us purchasing them here.