ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Help in ID'ing, new to Ithaca
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:25 pm 
Hey guys, in trying to find some information on a shotgun I just purchased, I came across this site, and hope you dedicated Ithaca experts can help me out. A guy at work was hard up for some cash, I had some to spare, so I bought a shotgun he had. I've only been around 870's, and now Beretta 391's, but thought I needed the little 20 gauge he had. I don't know if it is a true Ithaca 37, or just one they made for some out of house company like Sears or Wards or whatever. The only letters/numbers on the gun I can find are on the barrel in the chamber area, "ITHACA GUN CO., INC., ITHACA NY-PATENT NO 1849982-Model-37" AND BELOW THAT "20 GA-2 3/4 CHAMBER-MADE IN USA" then "PROOF TESTED" AND "FULL". That is the extent of the writing on the gun. Shouldn't htere be a serial number? On the left side of the reciever is an engraved scene from left to right (barrel pointing to your left) of a duck flushing to the right, a duck flying to the left, and a duck flushing to the left, then some cattails with some waves in the water and clouds in the sky. On the right side of the reciever is a scene of a hilltop with an Irish Setter??? (or some setter) pointing with two pheasants flying off in front of it. I did some looking on gunbroker and gunsamerica and found this identical scene on several 37's on those two sites. The gun has the pin in the magazine cap, which i picked up meaning it was made before 1954?? or whichever year that was. The recoil pad isn't original, has been replaced with another pad, as I can see where they didn't blend the toe and the heel of the pad well when shaping it. The gun has the ringtail forend. The grip cap is just a plain black cap.

Like I said, there isn't any other numbers or writing on the gun, can't find a serial number, and wouldn't know where to look for one. The gun doesn't have any store brand name on it. So is this a real Ithaca 37 or some gun that Ithaca made for somebody else to market or what? I didn't give enough to get hurt on it either way.

What about getting a new barrel for it, Improved Cylinder or a light modified? Any sources for that?

Thanks in advance for whatever information you all can pass on to me.

Post subject: Re: Need Help in ID'ing, new to Ithaca
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:44 pm 
I found an auction that showed the serial number, kind of hidden away, mine is 275XXX The engraving is exactly like the one in this auction http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=5611335

Mine isn't in that good of shape, as the finish of the buttstock was worn off by what I've now decided was a slip on butt pad, after seeing the original one just had a steel butt plate. After seeing this, I'm assuming mine is actually a real Ithaca 37? The number on the barrel matches the number on the reciever as well, sure do hide those away.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If I read the serial number chart right, your gun was made in 1949.

http://www.ithacagun.com/product/serial_check.shtml

I am not aware of any Model 37's that Ithaca made for another distributor, and I don't see anything in the description of yours that suggests it is not a normal Mod. 37.

Sounds like a good project gun - have fun refinishing the stock!

Disassembly instructions: http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/show ... genumber=1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:30 pm 
Thanks MrBen for the info. I'd found that disassembly instructions already through my research this afternoon. When I said mine wasn't in 'that good of shape', I was comparing it to the one in that auction. About the only thing I can see wrong on this gun is where the slip on butt pad wore the finish off the butt and the added on recoil pad. The bluing on the barrel is good, the forend is good, the reciever has some slight scratches on it, but nothing too detracting. I didn't buy it for collecting anyways, bought it to have it and tinker around with. Looks pretty damn good for a 55 year old shotgun that I paid about half what you can buy a new 870 Express for.

Thanks again, we'll see this weekend if I can break some clays, sure would like an improved cylinder barrel for it though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:30 pm 
Thanks MrBen for the info. I'd found that disassembly instructions already through my research this afternoon. When I said mine wasn't in 'that good of shape', I was comparing it to the one in that auction. About the only thing I can see wrong on this gun is where the slip on butt pad wore the finish off the butt and the added on recoil pad. The bluing on the barrel is good, the forend is good, the reciever has some slight scratches on it, but nothing too detracting. I didn't buy it for collecting anyways, bought it to have it and tinker around with. Looks pretty damn good for a 55 year old shotgun that I paid about half what you can buy a new 870 Express for.

Thanks again, we'll see this weekend if I can break some clays, sure would like an improved cylinder barrel for it though.