ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please help. I'm lost
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:23 am 
Helllo,

I am new to hunting but have really enjoyed my first 2 years. I was gifted an Ithaca 12 GA pump Deerslayer with adjustable chokes. I tried sighting it in with the full choke tube @ 35 yards with copper coated 4's and 5's and the results were not very good. Is this a good turkey gun or is it better for deer? What am I doing wrong? I appreiciate any and all help.

Post subject: Re: Please help. I'm lost
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some confusion here.

The Deerslayer has a rifled barrel and rifle-type adjustable sights. It does not have adjustable chokes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Use a cylinder or improved choke for best results with slugs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:20 am 
Presentation Grade

Mr. Ben
older Deetlsayer barrels are smoothbore and may have had choke tubes added. By the way, most Deerslayers now are rifled but you can special order smoothbore from Ithaca. That is what is nice about Ithaca.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

The patteren may be a little large due to the range of 35 yards. The 4's &5's are so large that there are not a lot of shot in the shells and even with a full choke the patteren will start to be larger than what you might get a 25 yards. Depending on what you are hunting as long as a few shot hit the vitals it should still suffice. 35 yards I have found tends to be the max range of a shotgun loaded with shot.