ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca questions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:12 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Just new to SGW, but loving all the info here. My first Ithaca was a 37 ultralight in 20 gauge. Still use it in Texas for quail hunts, great for all day walking. I now live in Virginia, and recnetly got an older Ithaca double barrel 12 NID model with a serial # 42xxx I tried it out on a preserve hunt last weekend, after a few rounds on the clays range, and I fell in love all over again with Ithaca. (Hit the birds all day, a rarity for me!) A question, though, to you Ithaca fans. This 12 is in decent shape, the bores are great, but the bluing on the outside is a bit worn. I'm considering overhauling the exterior with a rebluing and a custom stock to match the fore end (fore end has stamped serial number on it, go figure!) In your opine, would that be a mistake? I do not plan of selling the gun, I know restoring one lessens the value. I think the early serial number makes this a 1920's model double. Anybody with an opine out there?

Post subject: Re: Ithaca questions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you are going to keep it then I would consider having it reblued. I know that Ithaca will reblue one of their guns. I had a model 37 I priced having a re-blue done on and I think they said if it was in good shape and just needed blueing it would be around 150.00. I would call Ithaca about having them reblue it and going through it to make sure everything is in good shape.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:23 pm 
that's something I'd not thought of, the locaql gunsmith here was going to cahrge 170. also opening the full choke side to a imp cyl, just cause it'll be a upland gun. i'll call ithaca, though. thanks for the advice. I still have my 37, I love that little 20.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thomas, You've got some errors somewhere. Ithaca NIDs were in the late 20s. Also 42xxx is not an NID serial #. If that is your gun #, it is a very early Ithaca an should not be used with modern pressure loads. Have a good day..Bushrod