ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how much is it worth??
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:13 pm 
Hi again. I was curious about how much would a 20ga. M37((I do not know what the model name of the gun is...Repeater maybe?? :?: )) made in 1973 with minor rust toward the muzzle and mild wear on the butt-stock would be worth. I'm not looking to sell this gun, I just think it would be nice to know. Also would this gun have the "slam-fire" capability? Would it be worth the money to have the barrel reblued and the stock refinished? The place I would take the gun to if I was going to get this done charges about $115 for reblueing and I'm not sure how much for getting the stock refinished. If I were to have the gun redone then how much would it be worth?? Well it's gettin late. Thanks!
-----Alex

Post subject: Re: how much is it worth??
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:36 am 
Tournament Grade

It really depends on which part of the country you live in, through this website I have found that Ithacas bring higher prices in my area than they do in the south or mid west. If it is a plain barrel, no rib, and in the condition that you stated I would say $200-$230, since it is a 20 ga., typically the smaller bores are a little more popular. If you were to have the gun refinished I doubt that you could return your investment. If is costs $115 to reblue and the gun was worth 200 to start I highly doubt that you could sell this gun for $300. If it was a vent or solid rib barrel that wouldn't probably be the case. Even a 37 20ga in excelent original condition would sell for $275 to maybe $300. Guys in other areas will tell you that your gun is probably worth $150. These guns were so common in their day that they just aren't appreciating real fast. If you can find a 37 R, S, or T then it would be worth your while fixing up. i found a 37R that was just hammered, absolutely no blueing, wood was beat up bad, and I gave 100 bucks for it, did the restoration my self and recently resold it for $395.

If you aren't interested in selling the gun, then restore it and enjoy it. Guns only hold a $$ value if you sell them. As far as the slam-fire, to the best of my knowledge all Ithaca model 37's do this, even my brand new waterfowler storm does it. Good luck with your shooter.

Post subject: Re: how much is it worth??
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:00 pm 
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know where(off of the internet or a shop with an online store) i could order a replacement barrel with interchangable chokes for less than $200. After all the shopping I've done I can't seem to find replacement barrels for less than this. I really feel like I'm not getting as good use out of the gun as I could if I had more than just an improved cylinder barrel. I guess since I'm going to be keeping the gun I should just get a new barrel and get more use out of it. I think eventually I'll end up replacing alot of things on this gun becuase I want to keep it in the family. My dad got it on his 16th bday and now I've got it. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll have a son to pass this heirloom onto and he'll do the same.