ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca 51 Slide Assembly/Action Bars, Improved & Available
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:22 pm 
Utility Grade

FYI: I apologize if this sounds like I'm only posting to promote these, that is not my intention for the most part. I love the Ithaca 51, and am seeing many of them being parted out because parts WERE NO LONGER AVAILABLE. As many Ithaca fans know the Ithaca 51's slide assembly as Ithaca called it, also known as action bars, or bolt carrier, were prone to breaking due to recoil, worn buffers, and poor construction to begin with (Stamped out steel). Most other parts are easy to find or make, but the slide assembly is not.

We are now manufacturing NEW billet CNC machined 4140 steel slide assemblies for the Ithaca 51. Based off the original design by Ithaca Gunsmith James Tollinger in 1970, and Patented Nov. 9th 1971 (My Birthdate). The original replacement part from Ithaca in 1973 was $134.00. 40+ years later we are making the legendary featherlite live on. You won't be disappointed in the machining, and durability of these new slides. We have tested them in all Ithaca 51 models both 20ga and 12ga, standard and magnums. It is highly recommended that you inspect both the receiver, and bolt buffer for wear, cracks, or damage before installing and replacing with a new slide/action bars. We are hoping to offer new buffers, and links (wish bones), springs, and detents, to make a complete assembly in the next few months. Long live the Ithaca 51.....
I have them listed on both Gunbroker and Ebay just search, or contact me
Thanks for listening, now start shooting that Ithaca again without fear of breaking it!

-Matt

Post subject: Re: Ithaca 51 Slide Assembly/Action Bars, Improved & Availab
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Please PM me the ordering details as I am interested in purchasing one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

You would get more support and the possibility of a lot more business by coming up with a fixed price and letting the Ithaca world know about it. The folks on this board know each other all around the N. American continent, US and Canada for the most part.

You have the chance here to connect with a very broad audience and establish a reputation.

In my opinion that would be better than saying you have these available on eBay, so go fight over it.

I am pretty positive that the folks that own these guns are not shy about paying a fair price for a good product......

The gentleman above that asked you for details happens to be the author/historian of the old Ithaca Gun company. That is Walt Snyder.

His and a couple other folks being happy with your product and endorsing you (or not endorsing you on the other hand) could be the introduction you need to make a bunch of sales which of course translates into profit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

I agree with Dave. I know a few people that would be very interested in this part/parts for their Ithaca model 51's if they had/knew a fixed price for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have three M51's with original, unbroken slide assembly action bars. I've ordered new springs and buffers from Diamond Gunsmithing, and hopefully I'll never break any of my action bars.

I wish your enterprise well, and this is a good place to let Ithaca Model 51 lovers know you have a replacement available for the notoriously breakage prone bolt slide assembly. But you really need to hook up with Diamond Gunsmithing, if you can. They already offer action springs, new production buffers, and an exchange service where they weld up old broken bolt action slide assemblies.

Diamond Gunsmithing probably sees more Model 51's in one month than any other gunsmithing business does in ten years.

There are a lot of machine shops that have the capability to manufacture an Ithaca Model 51 action slide assembly from solid steel. The trick is selling the things at a profit, which requires a market for the product. If offered a substantial dealers' discount on a consistently high quality product, Diamond Gunsmithing would buy and install more of those parts than any other single customer ever could, and have already worked out the problems of how to make action springs and buffers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hopefully the OP will pay attention.

If you go look at his profile, he joined:

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:04 pm.

which is right before the 2 posts he made. The first to post a pic
of a Model 51 and the 2nd to say there was a part on eBay.

1 part on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ithaca-51-slide ... 4181d88270

as we all have said, there is an opportunity here if handled correctly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Gentleman, I do have a fixed price of $199.00 on both auctions. I am offering these up at a lower introductory price by being able to bid, to see where the market plays out. I currently have an inventory of 25 units with plan for more production, and more parts for the 51, and others. We are loosing money even at the $199 mark, but are testing the water as they say. These are on auction sites until we get our webstore up and running. If there is enough of a demand then we can produce a lot more and lower the cost for all. In 1973 the cost of these were $134.00, when Numrich last had them they were $136.00 We are trying to stay competitive, but may not ever make these again. It just so happens Im an Ithaca fan and my slide was broken, so after testing on my 51 magnum, I purchased all the 51 models and gauges and tested a few thousand rounds through each. We then machined more that are for sale. We just finished up the slide assembly "Link" on Friday for the 51' and it looks perfect! I cant say how many of those if any we will make. Again, just testing the market, and seeing what people are looking for and if its feasible for us to make. We wanted to put these up sooner than later as we see too many people parting out there 51's. Ithacanut, I would be happy to send you one to try out if you would like, and if your interested in them, then we can talk further. If you have any questions you can direct them to me at matt dot skaletski @ gmail and I will be happy to try and answer them. Sorry for any delay in posting, I did not receive any notification of a reply to this. I did reply to ithacanut vie PM (his request) but did not hear anything back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:33 am 
Utility Grade

Good morning:

I am a new visitor to the site, and newly registered.

What brought me here was my search for an Ithaca 51 Featherlight 12 ga slide assembly.

"Google" search is a wonderful thing !

I am interested in finding out how I can order/find the part and the cost.

Please feel free to contact me at: vmpatten at a o l dot com

Thank you

vince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:53 am 
Utility Grade

Vince,

These are available at www.skaltec.com

Thanks,

-Matt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:13 am 
Utility Grade

I have just acquired an Ithaca model 51 and I too am in need of the slide assembly...looks like the conversation died out about a year ago...is there anything new on the market since...the website given is down and nothing on gunbroker or ebay....I did send an email to matt skaletski directly, waiting on a reply...I just thought I'd check in here to see if any of you know anything else....thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:37 pm 
Utility Grade

it's such a nice gun that I'd hate to part it out before trying to fix it....and I got it at a great price

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sorry, nothing new that I know of. There has been success with welding the bolt slide assembly. Both the Ithaca Gun Company in Upper Sandusky OH and Diamond Gunsmith in Ithaca NY provide this service. A competent gun smith or very good welder should be able to make the repair as well. You should also replace the nylon buffer in the bolt and the back of the receiver as well as the bolt return spring in the stock. I have ordered these parts in the past from Diamond Gunsmith and are very happy with the parts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:06 am 
Utility Grade

thanks for the reply but my gun is missing the entire slide assembly....I need the parts not just a repair....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:26 am 
Utility Grade

I have a decent Ithaca model 51 featherlight receiver....it's missing the slide assembly and bolt carrier group....it does have the trigger group (with pins), nylon bumper, mag tube with spring & plunger inside, shell gate & release and safety button...also finger bolt that holds barrel and forend on the mag tube....I'd like $65...if interested, i'll need an emailed copy of your FFL, thanks

sorry, I couldn't insert pics....text me 314-753-2558 and i'll send them to you
[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

Diamond gun smith in New York can weld / repair your slide. I believe Ithaca from Ohio will do this as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

Whiteleather, I have a SkalTec slide assembly in a 51 Deluxe Trap and it is an impressive part. The machining is excellent and there is no way it will ever break. My guess is that the last price from SkalTec at $199 just didn't appeal to many buyers. He offered a kit with buffers and springs and the slide for about $250.00 if I recall properly. Sure wish I could get an extra.
I'll take the gun apart and post some pictures if you're interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:37 am 
Diamond Grade

This conversation got me curious to look at the slide assembly. It looks like multiple pieces, spot welded on the underside. I bought the gun with the slide already in it. My understanding is that the Skal-Tec slide is a drop in part. Here are some pictures. I'm not a machinist or a mechanic or a gunsmith but it looks pretty complicated.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi.

Could I get the info on this slide assembly. I have a Ithaca Model 51, I'm trying to fix up, and I'm in need of a slide assembly bad! I can't find any online, its almost like they are nonexistent

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

eli.harris wrote:
Hi.

Could I get the info on this slide assembly. I have a Ithaca Model 51, I'm trying to fix up, and I'm in need of a slide assembly bad! I can't find any online, its almost like they are nonexistent

Hi Eli. Welcome to shotgunworld. Do you have a slide assembly now? If it is intact and cracked, it can easily be tig welded. If one of the front “ears” is broken off and you have the “ear”, it can also be tig welded back on. You will need to get new buffers and an action spring too. Your best bet is to contact Les Hovencamp at Diamond Gunsmithing (607) 273-4510. He has the buffers and spring and experience welding the slide.