ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca NID 20ga - local gunsmith or help with disassembly
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Gentleman,
I have a friend who asked me to take a look at his Ithaca NID 20ga for him. Claimed that the gun functioned 100% but when it got heat up, it would get difficult to break open.

First thing I was going to do is remove the buttstock and obviously soak it and make sure its not all gummed up or something like that. Then start looking for bright shiny spots indicating wear or galling or small metallic chips indicating a high wear area.

Now to the problem at hand: I've searched here and other sites for exploded views and diagrams. I bought the Shotgun Phycology book published in 1938 but that diagram is a double trigger design and a couple of other things look different. So I don't have confidence I'm looking at a true diagram of the shotgun I hold in my hands.

Can someone help me with some guidance to at least get the buttstock off so I can see the action assembly? From there I feel comfortable with my mechanical abilities to evaluate the action and various levers, cams, springs assemblies for further disassembly if needed. I've done various gun work for years on a hobby level not charging money but just doing the work for free to help others out and deal with older or neat guns in the process. I've done a complete 1911 Delta Elite slide to a Les Baer oversized frame fit which is 99% finished. Just need finish the main spring hosuing and then get lower half hard chromed and blue the slide to be complete. And I also do a lot of mechanical work on automobiles and racecars. Meaning complete engine disassembly/assembly, rebuild automatic transmissions, etc. So I have good tools and good base of mechanical knowledge.

I just need some guidance. I have some ideas on how this comes apart but knowing the age of the gun and its not mine would like to talk with someone who has done these first. I live in the Raleigh, NC area if nobody here can assist here directly... if someone can refer me to a smith in the VA to SC area. I would be willing to take a day off work and drive to an experienced gunsmith's shop that is familiar with these guns if I could see them do the disassembly. I would really like to learn this action. But whatever is easiest to get this old girl back to functioning again.

I've read these actions are some of the most complicated for disassembly/assembly procedures. But I've got the patience if someone can give me some guidance or point me to a semi-local smith who can help me face to face.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Steve

Post subject: Re: Ithaca NID 20ga - local gunsmith or help with disassembl
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Hello Steve, I am in Southern Pines. I take(send) all my NID work to Gunter Pfrommer in Rocky Mount, VA. He is the best on Ithaca NIDs. I used to mess with them but now send them all to Gunter. phone is 540-484-5555 if I recall it correctly. I have been an Ithaca nut for 40 years but now rely on Gunter. {hs#

Last edited by ithacanut on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Welcome aboard, Steve; you've come to the right place for advice on all things Ithaca.

That said, you might not like this piece of advice, but I offer it in all sincerity and with everyone's best interest at heart: do not attempt to learn how to troubleshoot a doublegun on your friend's 20-gauge NID.

With all due respect to your mechanical aptitude on cars and your gunsmithing experience with pistols, a side-by-side double like the NID is a different and fairly complex piece of equipment that deserves professional care. While you might have success in troubleshooting it, you might just as easily damage it further.

Fortunately, you are not far from one of the best doublegun 'smiths in North America, Gunter Pfrommer, and I would strongly suggest you make a short road trip up to see him in Rocky Mount, VA. His full address is: Pfrommer Gunworks, 2954 Hopkins Rd, Rocky Mount, VA 24151

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Steve you can also call Tim Carrick at Carrick Custom Guns in Denton NC.
336-859-5273
Tim has repaired/restored many nice side by sides for me including an Ithica NID. You will not be disappointed with his work, and his pricing is reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Gentleman,
Wow. Thanks for the prompt replies. Ironically, my dad doesn't live far from Rocky Mount and have been to a machine shop there to have race motor blocks bored, acid dipped, and align bored. So Rocky Mount is very doable. Good excuse to visit dad also.
Then Denton, NC isn't far from me either and have been to a race shop out there also to get a chassis my buddy currently races. Thanks for the forwarded info.

Bonasa,
Your advice is read loud and clear and part of the reason for asking here. I keep hearing that story over and over. My Dad always said listening is a big part or learning and doing a job right the first time. Where there is smoke..... So point taken! Still interested in seeing this done to possibly learn for the future.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

The second sentence of your first post seems to suggest a chamber problem. However I defer to the more experienced here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:30 am 
Diamond Grade

Les Hovencamp Diamond Gunsmithing Ithaca NY is also very knowledgeable on NID's.

To get the stock off you have to remove the sear pin. It can be a little tricky but not bad if you have the right tools.

Before taking it apart, what are they shooting for shells? All NID's should be 2 3/4 but sometimes the new shells and the type of plastic and lack of brass used can sometimes make a NID finicky.

I pretty much use nothing but RST 2 1/2 inch low pressure rounds in my NID's now. I have never had a issue with them and they perform great.

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:03 am 
Crown Grade

I have found in over 50 years of playing in vintage doubles that a lot of them like Remington primers better than Winchesters. Don't get the firing pins dragging in Remington primers like they do in Winchesters. Don't know which is harder or softer or what, just know that with Remington primers they open easily and with Winchesters they stick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Researcher01 wrote:
I have found in over 50 years of playing in vintage doubles that a lot of them like Remington primers better than Winchesters. Don't get the firing pins dragging in Remington primers like they do in Winchesters. Don't know which is harder or softer or what, just know that with Remington primers they open easily and with Winchesters they stick.

I just learned something.

Too bad I'm not going to buy Rem primers. Have you seen the price of those things? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:54 pm 
Crown Grade

If you want to dance, you gotta pay the fiddler.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Researcher01 wrote:
If you want to dance, you gotta pay the fiddler.

There are several old sayings that come to mind as a retort to your very appropriate one...it's just Curly won't let me use any of them. :lol:

I'll try some Federals. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:21 pm 
Field Grade

SteveinNC I know that this is a longshot that you will see this post but I was wondering what the verdict was on that NID. I have a beautiful 1935 20 gauge that is experiencing the same symptoms that you described. It seems to stick more when I fire barrels in rapid succession like skeet doubles. I don't mind sending it to the Doctor but if it turned out to be something minor that I could handle I'd certainly like to know. Interesting post on this thread as well with regard to Rem. primers. I was shooting Federal today and was experiencing sticking so I'll throw some Remingtons in this week and check for difference. I sure do like my N.I.D ;)