ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More M 37 Takedown help, please
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

The you tube vids and members suggestions have been very helpful, but I need some more detail to take down my beater m-37.
Specifically, the spring pin that holds the bolt to the forearm will not retract enough to release the bolt from the action.
Any ideas? Anyone?

Post subject: Re: More M 37 Takedown help, please
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:36 pm 
Field Grade

I had a similar problem with my recently acquired 37. In my case that pin was cracked in half and would not retract enough to let the forearm release. The spring had plenty of tension so everything functioned ok but I couldn't take it apart. I was so frustrated I considered cutting that arm off just to get everything apart. I was able to get it by using a super sharp pick. It had enough grip on that pin that I finally got it to move enough. Mine was visibly cracked but yours could be subtle. The other possibility might be that there is a build up of crud in that small channel. Try soaking it in solvent and see if anything breaks up.

Good luck.
John.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:49 am 
Diamond Grade

You might try tipping the receiver on it's side and while holding the slide pin over jiggle the forearm. The broken pin should fall out and the slide come out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:43 am 
Diamond Grade

I have heard of these broken pins but never had to deal with one personally yet. I have heard of folks as suggested above laying the receiver on the side and then tapping the side with an appropriate leather / rubber mallet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:25 am 
Tournament Grade

My problem pin moves OK and retracts enough that I can easily get a tool behind the wider collar that retains the pin in the bolt. Pushed as far as I can you can still see the pin between the bolt and the forearm bar. It appears to move a similar distance to what I see in the vids. What I think may be the problem: One, the spring may have rusted, crumbled a couple of coils and made a lump in the recess that blocks enough travel to keep it from coming out or; Two, might the pin have been replaced with a pin from a larger gauge gun? Or are all the pins the same size?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Pins are the same size for all guns. I am not aware of any revisions at any time during production.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:36 pm 
Field Grade

The pins should be the same size. I replaced my broken one (20 Ga 1956 made) with a pin from a 12 ga 1976 made gun which dropped in just fine.
If your pin appears intact (it seems it does from the way you are describing it) I would say you might be onto something with a rusted or broken spring. (or my previous suggestion of too much gunk in there) If you tried flushing it with no results, I would keep working it back and forth to try and break up the metal that might be binding it. If the spring is rusted I would think it would break up eventually with this method. It is a PIA b/c you don't have much room but it might work.

Good Luck
John

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, I've flushed it and soaked it and worked the pin back and forth. Tonight I watched it when I moved it and when I let it snap back into place. I'm convinced now that the top of the pin is broken off and not connected to the rest of the pin. I'm sure this is a result of too much hard racking when it failed to eject.
The broken piece is still connecting the slide and bolt and while it does, I'll hunt the gun the first of September. After that, I'll drill a small hole through the receiver and push the pin out and replace it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You'd be better off carefully cutting through the arm of the forend tube than drilling a hole in the receiver. You'd be hard pressed to put the hole in exactly the right spot and, even if you did, would be left with an unsightly hole in the side of the receiver. Cut the arm of the forend tube, pull the breech block and slide from the back of the receiver as usual, and change out the slide pin and forend tube. I'd rather replace the forend tube instead of fwoping up the receiver.

At least that's my take. Any suggestions from those here who know 37s far better than me?

Actually, I'd probably call Les Hovencamp, the Ithaca expert at Diamond Gunsmithing, and talk to him before doing anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:50 am 
Tournament Grade

I think I could locate the hole well enough for my purposes. Appearance-wise, a small hole would be little detriment to this abused old gun. I thought I might fill the hole when I'm done with it. Among the other home brewed repairs, a previous owner polished the receiver to the point that the engraving looks like an out of focus photo.
I have a new stock coming. It cost half again what I paid for the gun. I really only bought it so's to have something to use up the stock of 16 ga ammo I'd accrued for my NID.
I'd much rather be hunting my NID, but it needs to be restocked and I don't have the skill to inlet the blank and I can't afford to pay someone who has. Especially in addition to finding and paying someone to reassemble the gun once the stock is fitted and finished. Too bad. If you look at my old posts, you can see the NID. It's (was) a nifty gun that I shoot really well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

10-4. If it's a beater that's already been abused, I suppose a small hole in the receiver won't matter much.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Too bad about your NID, saw your old post and it looks to be worth repairing. Suggest that you call Doug Carpenter at Carpenter's Custom Gunstocks and speak with him about inletting your stock. Doug is a ShotgunWorld.com member that many of us have used with great results. He's refinished a couple of stocks and repaired a cracked O/U forend for me, and the work was well done and reasonably priced. Here is a link to his website and phone number. He's a nice guy and it won't cost you anything to inquire about his fee. Good luck.

http://www.ccgunstocks.com/home.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

There have been thousands of broken slide pins removed without drilling a hole in the receiver. As I said lay the receiver on its' side so you move the pin down toward the bench. Jiggle the forearm like you are shaking it just a bit. Perhaps tap the receiver with a plastic hammer or piece of wood. The broken piece will fall out. I promise! {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Lossking, Thank you for the referral to Doug Carpenter. I will certainly communicate with him. It's a funny co-inky dink for me , having moved here several months ago. In my old neighborhood, I was surrounded by lots of used gun places, several where I did business (previous repairs to the NID) are no longer around. With the dove opener looming (and still procrastinating fixing the sxs) I started to hunt for a sixteen gauge. Now I find that, in my new town, I'm close to many excellent gunsmiths. Most so good, I can't afford them or they're so specialized they're not interested in my project.

Ohio Mike, Thank you for the advice. I'm sure you may be right about removing the pin-piece. But now it's too close to the opener. If it doesn't come unstuck when I reassemble it, it's going hunting as is-not enough time to get the replacement part and correct any problems I (cause) encounter when I put it back together. It'll end up on the shelf next to my box of NID.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

:lol: That pin likely has been broke for years. Go kill a bunch of doves and worry about it in February when it's to cold to hunt.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Next issue, please: I think I've fixed the ejection problem (with everyone's help), Now it's dumping the rounds from the magazine out the bottom instead of loading them. Is this a problem with the left shell stop (with the gun upside-down) or something else?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:51 am 
Diamond Grade

There is a spring behind the shell stop that can break and or get crudded up causing it to stick.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

The one with the spring is OK. The one on the other side seems to never move or make contact with the shells. Since it sits further back than the other, I'm guessing it should be stopping the shells from dropping out when the action is operated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ok. Part number 16 on the break down. I believe that shell stop is to keep more than one shell coming out at a time. It kinda goes up and down on the pivot and is actuated in the front and back by the breech block slide pushing it up and down as the action is worked. From what I can tell as long as you only have one shell coming out at a time then that stop is doing it's job. If just one shell at a time is dropping out then you probably have an issue with the shell stop part number 13 with the spring. It may be releasing the shell before the lifter forks have made it to the bottom of the action. It could be the spring or perhaps the shell stop needs a slight adjustment (bend it). Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Looking at it as I work the action, I thought the same thing.