ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca model 300 recoil operated
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I found an Ithaca model 300 recoil operated, modified choke, 20 ga. And 28 inch barrel, made in Japan for Ithaca. It appears to work on the browning recoil system, also with the bronze friction ring on top of the recoil spring on the magazine tube. Any one can tell me which end of the friction ring ought to face forward for light loads?
Anyone know what the market value is of this gun?

Post subject: Re: Ithaca model 300 recoil operated
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have the 12 gauge model 900 which is the decorated model 300. Same gun, same parts. Never a problem with it. They sell for around $150-200 around here. I saw a model 900 that was priced at $199 recently. The 300 has a black receiver and the 900 has gold colored engraving.

The flat end of the friction ring should face forward for light loads. When using heavy loads, reverse it. My 900 cycles either way with light loads. You should try it set for heavy loads first of all and it may work just fine for all loads. Then you won't have to be changing it.

I’ve learned … That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Browning recoil system is extremely reliable, if you understand it. There are two parts to the system, i.e. the friction brake -usually made of bronze, and the reversible ring - usually made of steel. The system should be arranged in this order, going out from the receiver towards the front of the gun: 1. Magazine spring. 2. Reversible ring. 3. Bronze friction ring (brake). 4. Barrel. 5. Forearm. If you look at the barrel ring that attaches to the barrel and surrounds the magazine tube, you will notice that the side facing the friction brake i.e. towards the receiver, is beveled to match the contour of the friction brake. Thus, when the barrel moves backward under force of recoil, the barrel ring compresses the friction brake and provides some braking action. If you look at the reversible ring, you will see that it is also beveled on one side and flat on the other. This is the "key" to the system and the adjustment for strong or weaker loads. If you are shooting stiff loads, the reversible ring is turned so that the beveled side mates up with the opposite side of the friction ring. In this position, the friction ring is being compressed from both sides under recoil - i.e the barrel ring on the one side, the reversible ring on the other. For light loads, the reversible ring is turned over so that the flat side bears against the friction ring, and thus provides no additional compression on the friction ring. Some people even place it at the bottom of the recoil spring up against the receiver. The magazine tube that all this rides on should have a light film of oil - not too much, not too little. With practice, you learn what that means. When hunting in extremely cold weather, some like to leave the system set on the "light" side - as oil can congeal in cold weather, but you have to be careful not to "pound" the action. Understand the system and it is reliable in the extreme. Abuse it, and your gun will jam and/or crack the receiver! One last bit of advice - be careful not to tighten the magazine nut too tightly - the chief cause of cracked forearms. The proper tension is to tighten the nut until the clicks stop - then back off one click. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:54 pm 
Crown Grade

That reply is simply wonderful, nesto - just what's needed for initiates.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:14 am 
Presentation Grade

Crisco - you are welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:17 am 
Diamond Grade

CriscoKid wrote:

That reply is simply wonderful, nesto - just what's needed for initiates.

+1: and a good refresher for those of us who don't shoot their A-5 or 11-48 all that often. I believe this is the clearest, simplest explanation of how a long-recoil autoloader works I've ever read.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I agree. But I would like to add that for the Ithaca/SKB 300/900 guns at least, the instructions say not to use any oil on the mag tube (which is chrome plated). My original 20 gauge 900 still has the factory instruction tag on the inside of the forearm and the reprint I got of the factory instructions has the same statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:29 am 
Presentation Grade

Guys, you are correct on that point. Both the SKBs and Franchis, which have chrome plated magazine tubes, specify no oil on the tubes.