ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about model 37 Ultra lite.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:13 am 
Presentation Grade

What were the stock measurements and what kind of wood were the stocks made off. It would be interesting to see old advertisings of the aluminum frame model 37.

Post subject: Re: Question about model 37 Ultra lite.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Both of mine are walnut. I believe stock measurements where the same as the field grade guns.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:24 pm 
Crown Grade

There were two different stock styles, depending when the Ultralight was made.
The later guns had a straight English type of stock. It was oil finished with flat
checkering, no butt plate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:25 am 
Presentation Grade

There were two different models in the Ultralight series - the standard Utralight and the English Ultralight. I believe the English model was offered first, the standard series shortly after. The English model had satin finished walnut with a checkered butt - no pad. LOP was 14" with DAH around 2 1/4". The standard Ultralight had a pistol grip stock with high gloss finish and pressed-in checkering, similar to steel-framed guns from that period. All the ones I have seen have the Sid Bell grip cap. The LOP was 14" to a recoil pad, DAH was more like 2 3/8". I loved the look of the English model and carried one for a while, but could not shoot them well as they were stocked too straight for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:52 am 
Diamond Grade

Sorry it took so long, not big on computers so the picture taking, down loading, linking process is something that I find taxing. I do have 2 ultralites. The deerslayer is from 1978 the first year of production for the ultralite series. It boasts a 20 inch smooth bore barrel, and high gloss walnut stock with pressed checkering. If you notice in the photos the fore end has positive diamonds in the pressed checkering, while the stock is of the previous negative style of checkering. The vent rib ultra lite is one that I bought in the box with the hang tags still on the trigger guard. Serial number dates it to 1984, and features a 25" barrel complete with a choke tube system. Stock is walnut with a satin finish and updated positive pressed checkering on both stock and fore end. By now the roll crimp style magazine tube is used and the Ithaca logo on the recoil pad is changed to simply Supreme. Both feature appropriate Sid Bell grip caps. The English ultrlite would be introduced in 1982. My 12 gauge centennial edition gun has a stock that is more or less an accurate representation of what would have been found on the ultralite edition.
ImageDSCF2975 by Ian Cutcher, on Flickr
ImageDSCF2976 by Ian Cutcher, on Flickr
ImageDSCF2977 by Ian Cutcher, on Flickr
ImageDSCF2978 by Ian Cutcher, on Flickr
ImageDSCF2979 by Ian Cutcher, on Flickr
ImageDSCF2980 by Ian Cutcher, on Flickr
ImageDSCF2981 by Ian Cutcher, on Flickr
ImageDSCF2958 by Ian Cutcher, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:58 am 
Diamond Grade

Two very nice shotguns. Thanks for taking the time to show them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

Good info and great pictures. My 20ga ULT has the 25" imp cyl rib barrel and the Sid Bell Quail on a 13 1/2" butt stock. Did not get a chance to hunt with it this season, so 'look out partridge in 2020'.