ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M51 poly choke barrel
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thought some of you might like to see a rather scarce 51 barrel. I bought the barrel stand-alone for use on late season pheasants. I'm hoping to get out to Iowa for the final week. The seller told me that he was selling it on behalf of his friend who had the poly choke added to use for skeet. I haven't seen any other 51 barrels with any type of adjustable choke. This is 12 gauge, 2-3/4" chamber with a mod choke stamp on it. It measures exactly 26 inches.

Last edited by ithacaskbfan on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: M51 poly choke barrel
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:49 am 
Diamond Grade

I like the looks of the 51. At some point I may have to add one to the accumulation to try out. I like that display stand too. I’d use that on my mantle on occasion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:08 am 
Crown Grade

I know everyone nowadays hates the look of the Poly Chokes added to barrels and it helps keep the prices low on guns so equipped. However, the standard Poly as on your gun that does not have the ventilated cage, is to my eyes much more appealing. This is especially so on older repeaters, because there are many that were added to them. In addition, they make for a very versatile hunting outfit.

Of all the semi autos from the past, I have zero experience with the model 51. I assume that if maintained properly they are reliable. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:17 am 
Diamond Grade

EricB wrote:
I like the looks of the 51. At some point I may have to add one to the accumulation to try out. I like that display stand too. I’d use that on my mantle on occasion.

I love the design of the 51, especially the 3 shell capacity. I never have to think "is my plug in the magazine tube?".
I picked up the stand at the Southern Side by Side in North Carolina this spring from Conneticut Shotgun Mfg for $25.00. You can get it online too here : https://connecticutshotgun.co/single-gun-stand/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:24 am 
Diamond Grade

oyeme wrote:
" very versatile hunting outfit. "

Yes, for hunting, the polychoke has no equal in my opinion.

oyeme wrote:
Of all the semi autos from the past, I have zero experience with the model 51. I assume that if maintained properly they are reliable.

Yes, to maintenance, but the design needs to have the correct length action spring and buffers to perform properly. You can get all three from Les at Diamond Gunsmiting. They are every bit as good as the Remington 1100 and easier to take down for cleaning.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:33 pm 
Crown Grade

A polychoke looks less obnoxious on a vent rib barrel than it does on a field barrel. The vent rib really balances out the overall look and keeps it from appearing like a pop can on the end of the barrel.

And yes I own 2 37's with poly's, both 16's, one sized for my wife.

Nice looking gun, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks Dave. I’ll shoot it next week and see how it swings. I think it looks retro cool.