Shotgunworld.com
https://www.shotgunworld.com:443/bbs/

Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation
https://www.shotgunworld.com:443/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=504268
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Halwg [ Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:03 am ]
Post subject:  Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

I have 2 of the sunburst pads, and I would like to have them installed professionally on my 12 gauge and 16 gauge Model 37s. I also want the LOP to increase from 14" to 14.25".

I had a local gunsmith screw up a 12 gauge stock I had, so I want these 2 done right. Any information on who can do them for me would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Author:  Bonasa [ Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

Yes, not every gunsmith specializes in recoil pad installation or even likes to do them (the grinding is messy, painstaking work), and the results can be pretty awful. You might want to check with your local 'smiths, especially any who specialize in stock-making or woodwork, to get a sense of their enthusiasm for the task and ask to see some samples of pads they have installed.

I have a simple benchmark for evaluating a recoil pad installation: the base and rubber of the new pad should look like a fluid, uninterrupted continuation of the contours of the wood.

Author:  IthacaMatt [ Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

Midway USA carries a recoil pad jig tool. It works awesome. You don’t have to grind with the pad on the stock. I have done several with perfect results. Works well on finished and unfinished stocks.

Author:  Halwg [ Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

IthacaMatt wrote:
Midway USA carries a recoil pad jig tool. It works awesome. You don’t have to grind with the pad on the stock. I have done several with perfect results. Works well on finished and unfinished stocks.


That would probably work if I had a belt sander. I don't have one, so I still think have a smith do it would be better for me.

Author:  RandyWakeman [ Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

Halwg wrote:
I have 2 of the sunburst pads, and I would like to have them installed professionally on my 12 gauge and 16 gauge Model 37s. I also want the LOP to increase from 14" to 14.25".

I had a local gunsmith screw up a 12 gauge stock I had, so I want these 2 done right. Any information on who can do them for me would be appreciated.

Thanks.


MGW, Art's, or Ithaca ... or Cole's.

Author:  ohio mike [ Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

Perhaps Diamond Gunsmithing would be a good place to start.

Author:  cheecho1960 [ Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

tronspace.com...............None better for this job. Excellent work/quick turn around.

Author:  drcook [ Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

Frank Vallone is another good resource

take a look at the before and after pictures

http://www.sycamorehilldesigns.com/

Author:  ithacanut [ Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

Gunter Frommer, Rocky Mt. Va. :)

Author:  Halwg [ Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

I sent it over to a local gunsmith who has a good reputation. Supposed to be done next week. Hoping it goes well and looks good.

Author:  oyeme [ Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

Halwg wrote:
I sent it over to a local gunsmith who has a good reputation. Supposed to be done next week. Hoping it goes well and looks good.


As often as this job has to be done, it is surprising how many so called "smiths" can't do a really good job. As I stated before, I wish I had made the initial investment and learned to do it myself. I am sure that with some experience I could do better than some I have paid to have done.

Author:  Halwg [ Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

I had the pad installed at the local gunsmith. It turned out well.

Attachment:
Sunburst Pad-2 (480x640).jpg


Attachment:
Sunburst Pad Ithaca 37-20 (480x640).jpg


Attachment:
Ithaca 37 with Sunburst (640x302).jpg

Author:  Bonasa [ Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

Nice job; clearly, that was done by a 'smith who knows how to grind a pad correctly. Looks factory perfect.

If I may ask, what did he charge you for labor (I assume you gave him the pad shown in the first pic)?

Author:  Halwg [ Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

Bonasa wrote:
Nice job; clearly, that was done by a 'smith who knows how to grind a pad correctly. Looks factory perfect.

If I may ask, what did he charge you for labor (I assume you gave him the pad shown in the first pic)?


His labor rates are $40/hour. He charged me 1.5 hours. Seemed reasonable to me. And BTW, his turnaround was quick. I took it to him on Thursday afternoon and he called me Monday to tell me it was completed.

I've had work take several weeks at other gunsmiths over the years.

Author:  Halwg [ Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

This gun is a 20 gauge, I'm thinking about having him install one on my 16 gauge, as well.

Author:  Bonasa [ Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

Halwg wrote:
This gun is a 20 gauge, I'm thinking about having him install one on my 16 gauge, as well.


I'd go for it; his work on your 20 is top-shelf, and his rate is easily half or less of what some shops would charge.

Also, is the pad your supplied him a Galazan repro? If so, what size did you buy?

Author:  ithacaskbfan [ Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sunburst Recoil Pads - Installation

That is a very nice job.
FYI, Les at Diamond Gunsmithing did a perfect job fitting a sunburst pad to my LeFever M3 trap gun and charged $75. I can highly recommend Les’ work.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/