ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A problem with extraction on M37 repaired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

About a year ago I found an absolutely pristine 1976 12 28” Mod VR Deluxe in the original box at a gun shop that specializes in “black guns”. They took three hundred so fast, I wish I’d offered two fifty.

The butt plate was gone, but otherwise it looks new.

I was on my way to Rod Gates at Jordan, and while I watched he reamed out the choke to a Gates Choke (IC+) of about .12-3 thousands and put on a half inch recoil pad.

I was tickled beyond words to have a brand new 1976 M37 and started shooting it, and immediately had extraction problems with promotional shells. So I opened up the forcing cone and polished the chamber, and no better result.

I took the gun to Gates, who professionally polished the chamber and cone, we shot a few shells, and pronounced it fixed.

We were wrong. With quality shells it would always extract, and with promo shells sometimes not.

So the next time I was going by Jordan Gates kept my gun, and discovered the cause.

The extractor springs were good, but the recesses in the extractor cuts were not fully milled.

After Gates milled off a bit from each, the problem is well and truly solved now.

The tell tale clue should have been the missing butt plate.

Somebody took off the butt plate to a new M37 to see why it had lazy extraction, could see nothing wrong, and put it back together and lost the butt plate and screws.

Then an ungrateful heir traded in the gun for an AR-15 or a Glock.

The gun has the lifter with nibs on it, one band around the Raybar, and the early style pressed checkering. I’m stripping the varnish and adding BLO, and I’ll let Gates professionally recut the checkering.

But when an old field grade gun is found in “as new” condition, I’ve found that there was a reason the original owner didn’t shoot it in a lot of cases.

It didn’t work, and they never sent it in to be fixed.

Post subject: Re: A problem with extraction on M37 repaired
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:26 am 
Crown Grade

Please post some pictures after it has a new stock finish and checkering. I bet it will be a beauty! Congratulations.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Mine has been at Diamond gunsmithing for some time now, also extraction problems.

How long is their turn around time usually ? It’s been a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Diamond Gunsmithing had my 12ga 37 for about 3 months last year to clear up a shell dropping problem. They're very good and always have a lot of work, so the turnaround time has increased. I think it's worth it, though. Les is the best 37 man there is, IMO.

By the way, McFarmer, I sent him a 16ga 37 with an extraction problem 3 or 4 years ago and it has worked perfectly ever since I got it back. I'm sure you'll be pleased with yours.