ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First year R ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bought a 16 gauge R out of Bowie TX. Serial # 70049 dates to 1941.The gun came from the factory with a 13"LOP. and a Mod. barrel. A polychoke was added afterwards and is of the first design. The gun must have resided for years in a hot closet as the but plate shrank about 1/2" and the grip cap not only shrank but curled like a potato chip.The gun is very worn but not abused although it was never disassembled and cleaned.Must be dry in Bowie as there's very little rust. It's apart for a deep cleaning right now,when I get it back together we'll get some pictures posted. I'm inclined to think this may very well be the first 16 gauge R built which makes me hesitate to refurbish it although the choke makes it not original.

Post subject: Re: First year R ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

I would think it is at least possible that the gun came original with polly choke even with the choke stamping. I'ts possible that someone simply grabbed a finished gun to fill an order but no one will ever know. That being said, if the gun is in poor but restorable condition I don't think you are going to loose value with the re finish.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:45 am 
Diamond Grade

Some solid ribs were produced prior to the 70K serial number block. I have a 16 solid rib that falls in the 1940 range, 25220. I believe they were introduced in 1940. I don't have my flyer in front of me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

Matt,that's actually good news. Now I have no qualms about returning the old gal to her former glory which was my intention all along.Been wanting a 16 gauge polychoke gun to use as my primary field gun for some time.Being a prewar just makes it all the better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:55 am 
Diamond Grade

Having the rib on the barrel makes a polychoke look not so obnoxious (I have 2 that have poly's myself). The rib helps the visual transition both in a functional as well as esthetic manner.