ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model ‘37 Action Frozen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

I told an old friend about me buying a 12 gauge 1949 Model 37, disassembling and reassembling it. He mentioned that he had a 1979 Ultra Featherlight Model 37 20 gauge. About a year later he called saying that his buttstock is loose and asked if I could fix it. I agreed to do so.

I took his gun out of it’s case and immediately noticed the buttstock was extremely loose to the point one could see separation between the stock and receiver. I noticed the action was “open” and the forestock was pulled back to the receiver. I pulled the forestock up toward the muzzle, but would not budge. I tried pulling the action release lever back but that did not help.

Leaving the action “open,” I proceeded to tighten the buttstock as I was requested. After successfully tightening it, I then tried to operate the action again with the same results. It is simply “frozen.”

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Model ‘37 Action Frozen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

Couple few possibilities. Check the nuts that hold the fore end to the slide tube, if they are out of alignment they could wedge against the barrel. I would suspect that you most likely have an issue with the trigger assembly, can you pull it out of the receiver? If you can get it out see if the action will move.