ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DeerSlayer Identification
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

The add just says DeerSlayer with broken barrel lug. Anyone tell from the pictures the possible year range.

Last edited by oldshotty on Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Deer Slayer identification
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

The fixed barrel deer slayer II did not come out until the late 80's. The one shown looks to be a relatively early deerslayer from the mid 60's. From the checkering on the stock and inclusion of what appears to be a factory recoil pad it appears to be a deluxe model. Should be interchangeable barrel. Double check the serial number as long as it's above 855,000 it is interchangeable however the manufacture would recommend that you should still have the head space double checked.

Post subject: Re: DeerSlayer Identification
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

You will need to ship that gun to Les www.diamondgunsmithing.com, or someone of equivalent experience, knowledge AND HAS THE PART to get that gun fixed. I went and looked at it on Armslist. It is missing the barrel lug that is silver soldered to the barrel.

Les has parts, you should ask him.

Also keep in mind, Ithaca DS barrels of that era were tight. You would not want to accidently run a sabot down that barrel.

Could it be a nice gun, oh yeah, for the price. It could also be turned into a really nice turkey gun.

Have Les fix it, ream the barrel and tap for choke tubes. Instant turkey gun.

You might even be able to find one of the screw in external tubes that has rifling and use it for deer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the help 1977cutcher, you where dead on its a 1965 serial#906, I bought it a few days ago.

Last edited by oldshotty on Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Quote:
I went and looked at it on Armslist.

The gun is listed on Armslist. I looked at the pictures. The facts,issues, as such that I stated are common knowledge amongst Ithaca folks.