ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Ithaca shotgun I inherited
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:59 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm a newbie to this forum but not to firearms.
I regularly target shoot, go on an occasional hunting trip, reload for rifles as I use to compete in HP rifle matches, built custom flintlock long rifles, built a few M40 clones for my own shooting enjoyment but never really readup on or used shotguns other than some dove hunting in my teen years with a single barrel, single shot 12 gauge. I was briefly interested in the Mossberg 590A1 with the bayo lug but never bought one allthough thats not off my wish list.
Anyways my dad has been deceased for over 20 years now and among the items I inherited were an Ithaca dbl. barrel shotgun.
I have maintained it over the years but recently I decided to see what I had so I took off the handguard, unscrewed the trigger guard and opened up the receiver and all of those areas revealed # 466459.

I determined it was the serial # and according to the Itahca serial number data base it was built in 1940.

That being said it is in about 90% excellent condition.

I do however need a new buttplate. The one it had was under a leather shoestring looking pad that seemed to have deteriorated over the years. The leather was thin and pulled apart easily and the edge around the buttstock had a hardened plastic like rim around and covering the existing buttplate. I removed all of this and it revealed a buttplate that was held on by two phillips head wood screws and was undersized and a bit banged up. It appeared to me it was made that way to accomodate what whas on the edge of the buttstock in the small space the plate did not cover. There was also an oblong recess inside the buttstock. Is this recess hole normal or was it put there after it was bought ?

I have searched all over the internet for ths last month or so and come up empty handed.

So.................

My questions are these ?
1. Is the an NID model ?
2. Where can I find a replacement buttplate ?
3. Whats it's value ? I'm not going to sell it, it was my dads and will be my sons when I go home to the Lord.

As far as a buttplate, I've tried ebay, Numriches and a few other online sources, etc. No luck. :(

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.

I shot it a couple of times as a kid, I'll be 65 this May.
Thats seems like a million years ago.]

Post subject: Re: Old Ithaca shotgun I inherited
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:54 am 
Presentation Grade

Pvt. Joker - your gun is definitely an NID model. If you take the gun apart and look at the water table, it will be stamped with a grade designation e.g. "F", 1, 2 etc. On the underside of the barrel flats will be a number on each barrel indicating the choke such as 2 (mod) or 4 (full). The original butt plate would have fit the OD of the stock perfectly when it left Ithaca. Not sure what you have now. If you wish to put the gun right, contact Les Hovencamp at Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca.

Some pictures would be a big help.