ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What in the world is up?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Why in the world aren't Model 37's selling? Brihunter has a very,very nice 12 gauge on GunBroker with no bids and no reserve starting at $200. Doesn't make any sense, even the sub gauges aren't moving. Tell ya what if I had the yearning for another 12 gauge it would be mine at that price. Buyers market for sure.

Post subject: Re: What in the world is up?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:43 am 
Diamond Grade

1. After hunting season is one reason.

2. There are only so many people interested. Just like buyers of old Corvettes, there are only so many butts for the seats.

As the population ages, there are not enough young people moving in to fill the void. More older people selling off their guns / cars, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

I can personally vouch for that gun. It's a beauty. Original hang tag and all.

Handles great.

Someone better jump on it, or I may have to own it again!! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

I couldn’t find it, anyone have a link ? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

McFarmer wrote:
I couldn’t find it, anyone have a link ? Thanks.

Item 855707654 it's on page 1.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Very nice gun. Six more days to go. No way it'll stay at $200. I wonder if the Ithaca Gun-Oil is included? LOL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:32 pm 
Field Grade

Matt and I bought that can in Syracuse "it is a great buy he says "......the market is soft on 12 GA guns , in the last week I have talked to Steve Barnett , Jay Shachter , and a ton of gun dealers in the US .the market for 12 ga Guns sucks...……. if you are going to sell put a 100% to 150% premium for 20GA or 16GA guns ………...I usually dont put my 2 cents in on this forum , but buy a really good sub gauge or sell it to me and Matt …...we will sell it for a loss and buy beer !!!

Best

Brian Hunt

Last edited by brihunter on Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just bought a ‘75 for $265 and to me that’s a great deal. Brian’s gun wasn’t listed at the time or I’d have bid. Actually, I’m not sure why I bought the ‘75. Sure didn’t need another 12/37/pump/gun, pretty much just need a 12 step program.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

Brian is correct. 12 gauge guns are ho hum to everyone suddenly. There are a bunch of high condition graded 12 gauge side by sides languishing on gun auction and gun listing sites. Look at Puglisi’s, Steve Barnett, Vintage Guns etc. to see for yourself. I’m guilty of it too. I look at sub gauges daily and scroll past the 12’s.
I think it’s just perceived as “cooler” at the moment to collect and shoot .410, 28 and 20 gauges... M37’s, Winchester M12’s and Browning Superposeds seem to be suffering the same fate.
Come to think of it, 10 gauge is seeing renewed interest too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yea but when I see a gun like that priced below a Walmart Mossberg it makes me cringe. I guess that's better then one of those folks with a new hacksaw looking for a old slamfire.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

I know what you are saying Mike BUT a gun as nice as the one Brian listed would be way too nice for me to take to a duck blind. It is In collector condition but not really a collectible configuration. It is still easily worth $600.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Buyers market on 12's for the time being. Tides change.

This gun would make a great field gun. You could shoot a round of skeet with it. It would also make a nice "back up" gun to have for hunting. Also a good way to introduce someone else to the world of Ithaca's. Say, "Here, try this one on this hunt" or "Hey, try a round of skeet with this"

I would have no reservations about taking this gun out in the field or letting someone else use it to get a taste of a Ithaca 37.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

I’d say the problem is that there are more old,used, field seasoned,12 ga. pump guns, than there are folks eager to buy the like.
The majority of people buying them are those of us who already have them and therefore an affinity for them. Case in point : I would seriously consider buyer this one, despite the fact that I own at least a long dozen. (Especially If the oil is included)
It was already touched on, and is mostly true that today’s young hunters are not all
too interested in some old pump grandpa gun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:20 pm 
Field Grade

I put an almost-new condition 37, 12 ga. Mod plain barrel, on layaway today for $249. I already have that exact same Ithaca but couldn't pass at that price. I guess younger guys want autos, 3.5 inch chambers, and black plastic stocks. I watched my gun for months, no buyers, so when they reduced the price from $399 I jumped on it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

tallguy606 wrote:
I put an almost-new condition 37, 12 ga. Mod plain barrel, on layaway today for $249. I already have that exact same Ithaca but couldn't pass at that price. I guess younger guys want autos, 3.5 inch chambers, and black plastic stocks. I watched my gun for months, no buyers, so when they reduced the price from $399 I jumped on it.

That’s a smokin’ deal!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Most folks are echoing what I said up in post nbr 2. There are starting to be lots of 63 to 72 Corvettes and even pre-63 showing up for sale. The price point has plateaued and it is becoming a buyers market (except for restomods).

Just like with Ithaca 37 shotguns, no one wants an old finicky piece that you have to understand to keep running (like cleaning, oiling, keeping it from rusting, using decent shells) etc/

EVEN THOUGH THAT finicky old piece has outlasted in years what any new one can and will continue to outlast the new ones.

Old Corvettes and old Ithaca 37's are easy to fix and there are plenty of parts available to fix anything that breaks.

What's going on is that the population (with some exceptions) is aging and the folks that appreciate walnut and blue steel are thinning out pretty fast. Same as with golf. There have been numerous golf courses in our area that are being turned into housing developments and fortunately, one was turned into parkland.