ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flues forend spring
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I posted this elsewhere on the site, and it was suggested I ask here as well. I have a 1914
Flues 20 ga. that needs a forend latch spring. Would it be the same spring as a 12 ga. or gauge specific? Are they at all available, or do we need to fabricate one? If so, are there any drawings available to work from? Popperts was suggested, and I'll be contacting them. Any other leads would be appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Flues forend spring
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

For a specialized part like that, or any other vintage Ithaca part, for that matter, your best source is Les Hovencamp of Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca, NY. Chances are good that if he doesn't have it, no one does.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:22 am 
Limited Edition

The Ithaca Flues forends have two different type latch systems. The earlier guns have the "J" spring that I believe you are looking for. The later guns have a sliding bar latch. The forend hanger/lug on the barrels is different as well. On the later style, the rear wood attachment screw head is visible from the wood side. As far as gauge specific, the "J" springs (and tenon's) should be the same, but each spring is fitted (ground) to length on assembly. If too long it is an easy fit. If a bit short the lug or spring will need weld or shims.

The "J" spring forend latch was used by multiple US manufacturers. One from another maker might be made to work.

John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:33 am 
Diamond Grade

Contact Les.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:18 am 
Diamond Grade

IthacaMatt wrote:
Contact Les.

I suggested that in his other thread. Les said he can't help him.

Numrich shows forend iron for a Crass hammerless with the type spring you need. Kind of expensive for a spring, but I doubt you could have one made for less.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1007720

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

eBay has had a number of small Flues parts listed. Just search “Flues” or “Ithaca Flues”. Set up a watch or check from time to time.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:49 pm 
Utility Grade

This is such a great resource. Thanks all!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:39 pm 
Limited Edition

As Malcolm7 stated, eBay is a great source for parts. There is an early type Flues forend assy currently listed at a good price but "BEWARE" , THE J spring looks to be missing.

rvrenufguns,
If you strike out findng what you need contact me. I have several Flues models and can remove and dimension the spring for you if needed. I may have some forends for parts.

John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Euroman- I've since been in touch with that ebay seller. Seems my terminology is wrong. What I'm calling the forend latch/arm they call the forend spring. I'm looking for the forend "spring spring" which that forend has. Clear as mud. If for some reason that doesn't work out, I'll certainly take you up on your offer. Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:16 am 
Limited Edition

nvrenufguns,

The single leaf flat spring you refer to is not needed for the forend to latch properly. It's sole purpose is to hold the tip of the "J" spring at the proper attitude for engagement to the barrel lug on assembly. When missing, if the gun is held upside down, the tip of the latch (J) spring will swing into position.

I have made similar flat springs from feeler gauges or banding strap. The following link has pictures of a similar design. There is a small flat ledge near the pin hole of the "J" spring that the end of the single leaf spring bears on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rev-O-Noc-12ga ... ect=mobile

John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:42 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the picture John. Indeed, the forend will go in place without the spring. I just don't like the idea of having the gun incomplete as it were. At the same time, we are also trying to determine why the forend does not sit on the same plane as (not level with) the receiver when snapped in place. Although the forend will go in place, it sits with a bit more of a gap between the wood and barrels, and is rather "mushy" when it goes on, not a definitive snap, so something is still not right.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:09 am 
Limited Edition

I have a spring.

Les Hovencamp
www.diamondgunsmithing.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:29 am 
Limited Edition

nvrenufguns,

The mushy feel with forend setting off the barrels is a good indicator that the forend lug is loose or has been resoldered at the wrong attitude. I have not worked on a Flues lug but, The Crass model lugs have an extension forward and aft below the ribs. This let's them move but not come off. Remove the wood from the forend and install the iron assembly. If the lug is loose you will see it as tension is applied to the J spring. If it is at the wrong attitude the end of the leg of the spring will bind on the lug behind the tip, not allowing it to pull the iron up against the barrels.

John