ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lefever Nitro Special Cocking Rod Length
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Its been a long time since I have posted here, but have gained a lot of good information. I have a Lefever Nitro Special 12ga, SN 274xxx, 1929 vintage. It is need of new cocking rods, the end at the hammer is worn short and the firing pins do not recede until quite late in the cocking process making it very difficult to open the action. The pins drag very heavily in the primer/cartridge case. I have received a new pair from Numrich, but they are way too long. They measure 2.910". The original ones measure 2.535", but they are worn short. Does anyone out there know what the proper length of the rods should be? I hate to return the rods, and can machine them to the length if known. Thanks in advance for any info. Bob

Post subject: Re: Lefever Nitro Special Cocking Rod Length
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:18 am 
Crown Grade

There were three different Nitro Special receivers. The early style was longer than the later two. between the 1928 and the 1929 Lefever Arms Co. flyers/posters is when they changed the picture they used from the first style to the second. Not sure when the actual change took place in the guns.

Post subject: Re: Lefever Nitro Special Cocking Rod Length
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:53 am 
Field Grade

I have a 1941-vintage 12 ga apart now and the rods measure 2.537" and 2.539". Mine don't look particularly worn, but I guess I'll have to take a good look at the mating parts when I finally get around to re-assembling this old girl.

geo