ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would This Ithaca Model 37 Stock Set Be Good For Trap ?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:15 pm 
Field Grade

Hi All -

I’ve emailed and called Ithaca Gun Company but have not been able to speak with Jeremiah yet (hopefully today!) so I wanted to ask this fine community for some thoughts.

Check out the CAMO laminate stock set available on the Ithaca Gun Company website and let me know if this set would 1. Fit my 1973 ga Model 37 and 2. If it would be good for casual/weekend trap shooting ?

https://ithacagun.com/product/laminate- ... xe-forend/

The wood on my ‘73 looks great but it’s not a Monte Carlo stock and this one is so I thought aside from it looking cool aesthetically it could be a better fit as trap guns seem to be sold with Monte Carlo stocks.

My other question is how much do you think this stock set weighs - I wonder why that is not listed on the Ithaca website (doesn’t look like many product details are shared at all really).

If anyone can share some good resources / thoughts on how I would determine the appropriate weight my gun should be for trap I’d love to learn about it. All I know is that Ithaca Model 37’s were made to be lighter so they could be carried all day but heavier is better when it comes to trap re: felt recoil and pointing the gun.

Personally when I’ve gone trap shooting I wasn’t bothered by the recoil but I’ve been told it’s an effect that you’ll feel over time so trying to get the right set up out of the gate that will serve me well over the long term.

I would be open to going to a gunsmith in person one day as I get the time to shoot more consistently but for now I am just enjoying learning and thinking about adjustments I can do on my own.

Thanks all !

Joe

Post subject: Re: Would This Ithaca Model 37 Stock Set Be Good For Trap ?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Does your current gun fit you? If it does, that is half the battle. As to the long-term effects of recoil, lightest loads and heaviest gun are your friends.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

Best of my knowledge it would fit, however my understanding is that thumb hole stocks are really kinda meant for slug / turkey type applications.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:53 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks !

As an update I was able to speak with Jeremiah at Ithaca Gun Company today and he told me that the stock set I referenced in my original post would fit my 1973 37 but I would need to shorten the steel tang that is coming off the end of the trigger plate.

He said if I did this then my original stock set wouldn’t fit but then there would be something I could do to make it fit.

That being said, Jeremiah said if I used the Monte Carlo stock on my gun I would then need a raised vent barrel or I wouldn’t shoot well with it.

If I’m going to use my 37 for weekend trap shooting it seems like the more practical investment would be to purchase a vent barrel like the ones that sell for $499 on the Ithaca website instead of using my 28 inch field barrel since the vent will eliminate the heat distortion that comes off the barrel after shooting a lot of rounds while trap shooting.

I guess I could also try and get lucky and keep an eye out for a used 28 or 30 inch vent barrel - anyone else have any suggestions ?

Thanks !

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Get a different gun for the money designed for trap?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin