ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loading routine when shooting trap with a Mod 37?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:02 pm 
Limited Edition

I shoot trap mostly these days with an O/U. However I still like to dig out my Model 37 occasionally to give it a little exercise and an excuse to clean it. What exactly is your loading routine when shooting trap singles with your Ithaca 37? I love my old Ithaca 37 and would like to be more proficient when shooting trap with it. So what is your routine like? Usually my normal pressures on the gun will eject the hull out the bottom anyway first thing. Then I reach into my pouch for the next shell to be loaded. DO you guys close the bolt and then load into the magazine? Or do you simply use the shell to push up the carrier when loading straight into the barrel? Is there a trick I haven't discovered yet? I get confused and fumbling around breaks my concentration. My scores suffer as well. Looking for the best routine that works every time suggestions. Maybe a video you know about? I am very familiar with the 37. I am just looking to perfect my loading routine at the trap course. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Loading routine when shooting trap with a Mod 37?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I slide the forearm forward just a bit the carrier goes up and I drop a shell in the chamber.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:18 pm 
Limited Edition

McFarmer wrote:
If I slide the forearm forward just a bit the carrier goes up and I drop a shell in the chamber.

Maybe a little more detail. Do you just automatically turn the gun upside down and do it? I know about sliding the bolt just a little forward, but I am always trying to get it just right to load and it distracts me.

I would be interested in knowing exactly what you do with your left hand and right hand etc.

When you are shooting with others what do you do between your shots. Here we are required to leave the bolt open until our turn. In any other gun I drop a shell in it and leave it open until my turn. I have had them fall out of my 37 doing that. What do you do? DO you hold the shotgun upside down?

Please take me through the exact routine. Then I can try and duplicate it here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

After the shot I cuss.
Then I pull the forearm back with my right hand, drop the empty in my right hand, put the empty in my pouch while turning the gun over. Pick a shell up with my right hand and slide the forearm a little so the carrier goes up, drop the shell in. All with my right hand. Keep the gun upside down until my turn comes around again, slide the bolt home, rotate the gun and shoulder it.

My left hand never leaves the grip area.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:51 am 
Crown Grade

Too much gun handling turning over then back.
Balance the fresh shell on two finger tips and lift it into the action.
You will push the carrier forks upward and the shell in front of the bolt.
Then slide the forearm forward locking the action.
This is one of those learned things like riding a bike.
Once you master loading this way you will not go back to action cycling or
gun flipping.
Practice with some snap caps. Remember this a fluid motion and
many shooters will not notice that you have loaded and are ready to shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:09 am 
Diamond Grade

Everyone has their routine. I use mine to maintain my concentration, not minimize my actions.

You need to discover what works for you and work on it to make it second nature.

I have a good friend that rotates the shell in his O/U so the markings on the head are right side up, he does this when the shooter two places to the left takes his shot. Then closes the gun when the shooter to his left takes his shot. It’s just his routine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:41 am 
Diamond Grade

McFarmer wrote:
After the shot I cuss.
Then I pull the forearm back with my right hand, drop the empty in my right hand, put the empty in my pouch while turning the gun over. Pick a shell up with my right hand and slide the forearm a little so the carrier goes up, drop the shell in. All with my right hand. Keep the gun upside down until my turn comes around again, slide the bolt home, rotate the gun and shoulder it.

This is my 37 trapshooting practice exactly. Practice with a snap cap, and you'll be doing it without even looking.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:04 am 
Presentation Grade

When I shoot my 20 ga 37S at skeet, I flip the gun over, moving the slide slightly forward with my thumb to expose the chamber, drop a shell into the bottom of the receiver and close the bolt. As I flip the gun upright, I call for the bird, beginning my swing and mounting the gun simultaneously. I do this, like McFarmer said, just to be steady and deliberate.

When I shoot the 37T at trap, I load directly into the chamber from the bottom without inverting the gun, pushing the shell up against the fingers and closing the bolt. Two different routines for two different games. Either way becomes second nature. Only rookies load the mag and work the slide. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:56 pm 
Utility Grade

ln my trap days (1976) l loaded my 37S 28" mod. barrel shot gun the same way as Milkmaster and Mcfarmer did after a few round it became second nature.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:36 am 
Crown Grade

Bonasa wrote:
McFarmer wrote:
After the shot I cuss.

This is my 37 trapshooting practice exactly. Practice with a snap cap, and you'll be doing it without even looking.

I am guessing this is if you are left handed? Otherwise I am confused, but that is not unusual. I am trying to instruct a friend who has been having trouble with his M37 when we shoot Wobble Trap.