ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca Oil Can
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 am 
Tournament Grade

A couple oil cans on Ebay....

Has anyone tried to remove the "cover-up" label?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintag ... SwoSldm-qG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE ... %7Ciid%3A1

Post subject: Re: Ithaca Oil Can
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well to my uneducated eye they do seem to be original. Never heard of the paper label, not sure what it is all about.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes...they are both "original".

My understanding is that Ithaca quit selling oil around 1942.

They then sold the remaining stock of cans to another company ...with the requirement that the labels be added to cover the "ITHACA GUN CO." printed on the can???

Maybe Walt or Matt...or others can let me know if I am on....or way off....the mark?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:28 pm 
Crown Grade

The oil sold out in the 41/42 era. I published the invoice for the last order that stated the buyer got the last of the inventory until after the war or words to that effect. They couldn't get the cans because of war material shortages. There is no merit in the latter comment. I have both--I think it was a slight change in address or something like that. I will look at the two and comment latter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:27 am 
Limited Edition

WOW! Those must be really special tin cans. For that kind of $$$$ one could purchase a very nice Ithaca gun or two, and have left overs for ammo, club fees, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

These cans have been on ebay for awhile. Yes, they are nice but I guess you can't get it if ya don't ask..... :lol:

Really nice examples have been bringing right around $1000 these days. Condition goes down, price goes down. But, you never know. If someone wants one bad enough. They are very rare.

No, I am pretty sure they didn't sell unused cans to anyone else. Walt is is probably correct about the address change as it has their PO Box on the paper label. Not sure when the gun company went to the PO Box but a little digging could probably come up with a date range.

They can be removed, they are just paper. Does it add any value? I don't think so. Condition of the can itself plays a larger role.

I have seen one fake, so be careful. The ones on ebay are real. The fake one I saw had different coloring to it. Stood out like a sore thumb. You could tell someone tried to scan, copy, or digitize the graphics. It didn't look good. Can itself had some differences as well.

It's funny, you'll see a few pop up every now and then and then it dries up for awhile. Sometimes a long while.

I've seen pictures of a box display in old ads for the cans. That's the Holy Grail.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:48 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the info guys.

I have always wondered about the reasoning behind adding a label that removes any reference to the "Ithaca Gun Company" ......in a legal sense???

The cans with the label would appear to be sold by a different company....."Ithaca Oil Company".....again....in a legal sense.