ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1963 Ithaca DS Police Special
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum because I've recently discovered how nice the Ithaca 37 is. So I managed to find a nice deal on a 1963 DS Police Special. It's my understanding that this model originally had a parkerized finish. The gun I have is obviously painted, and that looks to have been done a very long time ago judging by the scratches and marks of usage. The paint color is a very dark gray. It looks to have been done very well, not an amateur job, but it is quite old and showing it's age. It almost looks like a military type finish in quality and color.

Before I consider having this gun refinished I was wondering if there was a chance that I'm misinformed and this gun actually had an original painted finish. Any input would be appreciated. If I can figure out where to host pics I'll post a few.

Post subject: Re: 1963 Ithaca DS Police Special
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Just my own opinion, but I don't think the old Ithaca company ever sold a "painted" gun. Every one I have seen has been parkerized, blued (matt or bright) or nickel plated. "Usually" the 7 shot guns are parkerized but there are exceptions. Previous owner(s) must have painted your gun. I would strip the paint and have a good shop re-parkerize it.

As a side note I would be interested as to when Ithaca did start making the 7 shot guns. It must have been around this time (1963).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:45 am 
Utility Grade

nhithaca wrote:
Just my own opinion, but I don't think the old Ithaca company ever sold a "painted" gun. Every one I have seen has been parkerized, blued (matt or bright) or nickel plated. "Usually" the 7 shot guns are parkerized but there are exceptions. Previous owner(s) must have painted your gun. I would strip the paint and have a good shop re-parkerize it.

As a side note I would be interested as to when Ithaca did start making the 7 shot guns. It must have been around this time (1963).

Thanks for the reply. What you said is consistent with other sources. This shotgun is a good one, mechanically speaking. Functionality is 100%. I paid a good price for it and it seems like it's gonna be a keeper for me. It doesn't seem to have anything that makes it especially collectible or unusual, so I'll probably fix it up a bit with a sling kit and refinish it.

Is there anyone who might be recommended for parkerizing? I was thinking about sending it to Ithaca for that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

You might find that to be a little pricey.
Try to find a local shop that does older military guns. Most all of the WWII and Korean War small arms were parkerized, so a lot of shops do it. Ask @ local gun shops or any gunsmiths you may know. You can even do it at home if you have access to the right media blaster and the correct tanks. Chemicals are available from Brownell's or Midway.

Craftguard in Iowa and GunBlack in NY are two I have looked at to do a gun (but not tried yet). In fact GunBlack shows two Ithaca's on their web page. I did have an Ithaca 7 shot Model 37 done by Mahovsky's MetalLife in PA. There is a photo in the tactical section.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Cammer, how did you arrive at your screen name?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:36 pm 
Utility Grade

nhithaca wrote:
Cammer, how did you arrive at your screen name?

I've been using that for probably 25+ years, since sometime around the start of the internet anyway. I think it was a name I started to use back when internet relay chat was a thing. Anyway, I've always hated meaningless numbers in screen names, and this one is a name that is usually available and easy to remember. If I remember correctly, it was just a random name I came up with one day. It doesn't have any special meaning.

I've never been asked about it before. Does that mean something to you?

By the way, thanks for the refinishing info.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes, I guess. It's a car thing.
Ford made a very limited version of their 427 in the mid-'60s using single over head cams in each head. Strictly crate motors, before they called them crate motors. Guys called them "Cammers". I have one in a 1967 Ford Galaxie 2 dr HT.
Just wondered.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

I agree that is is doubtful that the gun left the factory with paint on it. 7 shot 37's do carry a premium and does have some value. As for a re-park I would look locally unless you want a "restoration". How is the wood on the gun?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:53 pm 
Utility Grade

1977cutcher wrote:
I agree that is is doubtful that the gun left the factory with paint on it. 7 shot 37's do carry a premium and does have some value. As for a re-park I would look locally unless you want a "restoration". How is the wood on the gun?

What you wrote made me realize that I failed to mention that this particular one is the short tube version. 4+1 capacity.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I have both the seven shot M37 and the regular Police 4+1 - both are great, but I find the balance and swing of the regular model more enjoyable to shoot, and it is the one I reach for more often. I found SideSaddles for both of mine on eBay, and consider the M37 the best pump shotgun ever made. Long live the M37!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

nhithaca wrote:

Would like to see photos of the finish on the original poster's gun. I've seen some Model 37s with a parkerized finish that was very smooth looking.

Regarding the extended mag tube shotguns, Ithaca did not start making those until the late 1960s.