ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Youth Stock on a '51 Model 37?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:27 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm picking up a 1951 Featherlight Model 37 tomorrow...my first Ithaca! But I know the LOP will be too long.

I'd ask at the company but the virus has kept the doors closed so I'm asking here in this, my first post.

What is the LOP of the 12 Gauge with Deluxe Synthetic Forend that Ithaca has listed on its website?

And will it fit on my '51?

Thanks for your help! Glad to have found this forum!

Post subject: Re: Youth Stock on a '51 Model 37?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:16 am 
Tournament Grade

I should have read this twice.

Last edited by biglar on Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

larry44 wrote:
I'm picking up a 1951 Featherlight Model 37 tomorrow...my first Ithaca! But I know the LOP will be too long.

I'd ask at the company but the virus has kept the doors closed so I'm asking here in this, my first post.

What is the LOP of the 12 Gauge with Deluxe Synthetic Forend that Ithaca has listed on its website?

And will it fit on my '51?

Thanks for your help! Glad to have found this forum!

Welcome aboard, larry44. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, except that it concerns a 1951 model 37 and not a model 51. In any case, here's a link to all the specs published on Ithaca Gun Company's website including LOPs. Maybe you can find your answer there. Also, I think the new stocks are interchangeable with the old stocks, but I'd wait until I could call Ithaca to make sure before I bought a new one. Good luck with it.

https://ithacagun.com/wp-content/upload ... nSpecs.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:17 am 
Crown Grade

I'd have a competent gunsmith cut down your stock to the correct length of pull. I wouldn't be fooling around putting a cheap plastic stock on a 1951 (same year I was born) Model 37.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

Halwg wrote:
I'd have a competent gunsmith cut down your stock to the correct length of pull. I wouldn't be fooling around putting a cheap plastic stock on a 1951 (same year I was born) Model 37.

I'd second Halwg's advice. Those early '50s 37s are sweet vintage guns that deserve to be kept as period-correct as possible. A synthetic stock would be an eyesore.

There's another option you might want to consider: picking up a used walnut stock, such as this one on Ebay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ithaca-Model-3 ... SwCM5enEhd

It's actually a pre-War 37 stock, which had slightly more extensive and finer checkering than your 1951. If the bidding doesn't go crazy and you win it, you could have one of them cut down to your desired LoP and keep the other full-length one in case you ever decide to restore the gun to its original condition.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies! Sorry for any confusion but you've got the gist of it.

I just picked up my 1951 Model 37 and it looks to be in excellent mechanical condition. Bluing is faded but that doesn't bother me. Bore is bright and clean. Paid $250 and very happy with the purchase. But I have a really confusing question...

The Serial No. on the barrel is 4126xx which puts it solidly at the end of 1951 production. My understanding is that it should have a fixed barrel, having a SN less than 855,000 but the barrel does twist off with the ¼ turn!? Is there anywhere else on the receiver I should be looking for a matching SN?

Thanks for the advice, too! I'm "watching" that pre-war stock on eBay. If anyone wants me to post photos just let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hi Larry,

Ithaca 37 barrels are sometimes the source of some confusion.

Here's the deal: your 1951 gun's barrel is not "fixed" to the receiver; it can be removed and re-installed, as you've discovered, but simply will not interchange with any other 37 receiver. After 1963 (SN 855,000), Ithaca made its barrels fully interchangeable, so any barrel of the same gauge would fit a receiver of the same gauge.

It's possible to add a barrel to your pre-1963 Model 37, but it must have a SN lower than 855,00 and will have to be hand-fitted to the receiver and the headspace checked.

Also, you'll find the SN for your receiver stamped into the right front side of the receiver, tucked in between where the barrel and mag tube enter the receiver, adjacent to the SN stamped into the breech end of the barrel. If that's the original barrel that came with the gun, the two SNs will match.

Enjoy your new 37. Those early 50s guns are great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, Bonasa! I understand now. I found the matching SN on the receiver.

Also, I spoke with Les Hovencamp at Diamond Gunsmithing and I'll be sending my shotgun to him next week to fit a recoil pad and reduce the LOP. I'll hold off until I see what happens with that eBay stock.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:51 am 
Diamond Grade

Good move sending to Les.....you won't be sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:05 am 
Presentation Grade

Great youth gun, good luck.