ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parkerizing vs blueing my barrel
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Remington 870 barrel that I cut the vent rib off because well I just didn’t want it there. I’ve cleaned up all the scuffs and smoothed it out with 180 and I’m ready for a finish. I planned on parkerizing it but I’ve watch a few videos and it looks complicated. I’ve already bought the chemicals and spend all the time getting it down to raw metal but I found out that I need a stainless steel pan to boil the solution in and frankly I’m doing all this myself so I don’t spend $200 on a barrel so I’m not trying to spend any more money on this project. I haven’t looked into blueing yet because I’m quite certain Remington uses the parkerizing process so I’d like to get it back to the factory look. Is blueing less expensive to do? Is it relatively just as durable? I’m not out here breaching doors and throwing my shotgun around a stone quarry so I don’t need this thing indestructible I just want to be done with this project and get it on my gun.

Post subject: Re: Parkerizing vs blueing my barrel
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

Welcome aboard, first of all.

I think you might have come to the wrong forum; this is the Ithaca gun board, and while I'm sure we have some folks who could offer advice on parkerizing vs rebluing, you might be better served by posting your question on the SGW gunsmithing board.

Good luck with your project.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

..... you could try the Remington forum too.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:02 am 
Diamond Grade

Removed the vent rib...
wondering how you did that job. If you ever swing by again, please post pics- before, during and finished.