ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca 37 28 gauge
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:08 pm 
Utility Grade

I went to Ithaca's website to finally order one of the 28 gauge 37's, and it shows them all sold out.

Bud's and a few other online Ithaca dealers are sold out as well.

Please don't tell me they discontinued the 28 gauge model?

Post subject: Re: Ithaca 37 28 gauge
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

There is one on GunBroker right now for $895,better hurry.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

It is on the home page of the website so I bet it isn't discontinued. Likely just behind in production from the virus shutdown. At least I hope this is correct as this has been on my personal wishlist.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:23 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

j23 wrote:
I went to Ithaca's website to finally order one of the 28 gauge 37's, and it shows them all sold out.

Bud's and a few other online Ithaca dealers are sold out as well.

Please don't tell me they discontinued the 28 gauge model?

Quote:
To our valued Customers,
We wanted to update you regarding our operations, and how they have been impacted by the COVID-19 virus. We are observing the requests of our Governor and our President and have advised virtually our entire staff to stay at home with their families. We are currently still accepting new orders via our website. These orders will be held in cue until they can be fulfilled and will be completed in the order that they were received. We are also not accepting service guns at this time but will notify customers when we begin accepting them again. If you have a service gun currently on premises, we will secure them in our vault for the time being and ship them once they are completed.
Stay safe America!
Ithaca Gun Company

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies guys! Hopefully things get back to normal soon.

...and thanks for the Gunbroker tip Ohio Mike!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Got one a couple years ago. Love it. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

For what it is worth, I was playing around on their website and 20 gauges are out of stock too.

As Randy stated, it is highly likely a virus thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I don't believe that the sold out issue is all virus related. Last fall I went to the Ithaca website looking for a youth model 20 gauge. None were available. No 20 gauge guns were available. Many options were lacking in 12 gauge as well.

Earlier this week I needed a part. I ordered the part and the part has supposedly been shipped.

So I don't know what is going on.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:46 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a feeling they are eventually going to go under again. I tried to buy a 16 gauge barrel, and they no longer carry or make them. They discontinued all their 16 gauge guns, so the 28 may be next. it's sad they are going this route.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Lets hope not.But sadly most won't pay the price of a all steel American pumpgun.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:25 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Halwg wrote:
I have a feeling they are eventually going to go under again. I tried to buy a 16 gauge barrel, and they no longer carry or make them.

You're not feeling well? :shock:

The 16 gauge is a dead gauge in terms of sales. Browning discontinued their BPS 16 as well (and 28 gauge and .410) https://www.browning.com/products/firea ... ction.html -- yet, no one is crying Doomsday.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was looking to buy a 24" 28ga barrel last summer and was told they were out of them and they did not know when they would make more. I went to the factory to pick up my gun in January and was again told they did not know if they would make anymore 24" barrels. Last time I looked I think only 28" barrels were available in 28ga.

With a lot of people out of work for over two months now I do not know if they will see the demand return for their shotguns that they had in the past. At least not in the near future. I hope I am wrong and can one day purchase a extra 24" barrel.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:47 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The virus ordeal has affected small businesses all over the world and their supply chains. Ohio hasn't been immune to it nor is Ithaca.

You can expect at least SOME problems with parts in anything coming from Japan, Turkey, Belgium, France, Italy, etc., etc., as well as many U.S. manufacturers and importers. Several companies have huge backlogs of orders . . . but zero production for the last two months.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:55 pm 
Limited Edition

One thing about the M37 should the company close its doors is they don’t seem to break very often but that’s apparently what you get when quality is SOP.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:57 am 
Diamond Grade

Plus one to what Randy said on the 16's.

I love them, but they are the "forgotten" gauge. Plus, they are not a part of the skeet gun lineup.

There will always be a small passionate group (like myself!!) that will continue to use 16's. There's a website group out there called the 16 Gauge Society.

But, definitely not the demand for full production by the manufacturers. It makes no sense for Ithaca to continue on with the 16's unfortunately.

I was surprised to see a few boxes of 16 ga shells on the local Walmart shelf the other day. I only use RST's in mine.

Back to the 28's and Ithaca. I am hopefully optimistic that the demand will ramp up once all this crap is over. There was only two guys in the factory that assembled and inspected the 28's. So if they are laid off from work then...

They are a great gun and you are seeing more turn up on the secondary markets now that they have been in production for awhile. Not sure if that has an effect on demand for factory new guns, but it may a little.

I also saw a couple boxes of 28 gauge shells on the shelf at my local Wally World. Those went into the cart.....

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend everyone.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:00 am 
Limited Edition

I ordered my 28g from them last year and the lack of inventory was beginning back then, the virus didn't cause this at Ithaca. Also a former employee was on FB saying how the company was in bad shape and they were only building guns with whatever was left in stock, no new barrels or stocks or other things being made. The issues at Ithaca started long before the virus came around, but it's likely safe to say the shutdown has made things much worse for them

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:18 am 
Diamond Grade

If there is truly a problem at Ithaca then perhaps a joint venture with Henry would be a viable option. Two American Companies that make their product here.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 am 
Limited Edition

IthacaMatt wrote:
Plus one to what Randy said on the 16's.

I love them, but they are the "forgotten" gauge. Plus, they are not a part of the skeet gun lineup.

There will always be a small passionate group (like myself!!) that will continue to use 16's. There's a website group out there called the 16 Gauge Society.

But, definitely not the demand for full production by the manufacturers. It makes no sense for Ithaca to continue on with the 16's unfortunately.

I was surprised to see a few boxes of 16 ga shells on the local Walmart shelf the other day. I only use RST's in mine.

Back to the 28's and Ithaca. I am hopefully optimistic that the demand will ramp up once all this crap is over. There was only two guys in the factory that assembled and inspected the 28's. So if they are laid off from work then...

They are a great gun and you are seeing more turn up on the secondary markets now that they have been in production for awhile. Not sure if that has an effect on demand for factory new guns, but it may a little.

I also saw a couple boxes of 28 gauge shells on the shelf at my local Wally World. Those went into the cart.....

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend everyone.

There’s a reason the 16 gauge simply won’t die despite the wishes of some pundits. Yes, Browning discontinued the BPS 16 however, the Browning dealers in our area cannot keep the new Sweet Sixteen on their shelves. Franchi just rolled out a 16 gauge O/U and commercial 16 gauge ammo is showing up on the shelves of even box store retailers.

To those predisposed with trying to bury the 16 gauge....as more and more people pick one up and shoot it.....they come to the realization negative pundits have been pissing up their backs while trying to tell them it’s simply raining.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

ohio mike wrote:
If there is truly a problem at Ithaca

Ithaca is a very small gun company and they want to stay that way. That's not a problem, except for people that want Ithaca to be something other than what the owner wants it to be.

Those feeling a bit unflush aren't going to buy a $1,145.00 – $2,395.00 pump gun which is what the M37 28 gauge is. How many threads are there on this board with folks wanting $500 autoloaders and $1000 O/U's? :shock: If it is just about a cheap gun, you're not ever going to be an Ithaca customer.

You can look at Ithaca as being a custom shop, not a mass-producer. There is no reason to believe that this will change. Ithaca is not "in trouble" at all-- the owner, Dave, is quite well-to-do. M37s aren't build on speculation, they are built on orders, and it takes a minimum run to make it economically feasible, that's all.