ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking of a 51
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

So, I’ve been working on thinning out the accumulation, mainly moving out the the guns that I’m unlikely to use either afield or at the range. Now I’ve run across a Model 51 in nice shape. The price is very reasonable and I really like the way it looks. I’ve read here about the springs and carrier(?) that need updated or reinforced. If I were to get this and update it, how long before it needs updating again? A certain number of rounds? A certain amount of time?

Are these guns as addictive as the M37?

Post subject: Re: Thinking of a 51
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:18 pm 
Crown Grade

I've always wanted one, but was afraid to buy because of all the problems I have read about.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:33 pm 
Crown Grade

If you are over 40 years-probably not in your life time. These guns are sweet shooters!
Action springs and buffers are no big deal. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

No I’m even more tempted! I’m over 50!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

I am not a 51 collector yet I have like 7 of them so yes they are addicting. As far a longevity according to Less the main problem was that the recoil springs that the factory used where too short straight from the factory. The short springs caused unnecessary wear and tear inside of the gun. In addition the nylon receiver and bolt buffer get brittle with time. I believe advancements in composition have probably rendered the new buffers more durable however I have not confirmed that thought. You can pick up new spring and buffer kit from Diamond Gunsmithing for about $50 plus shipping. I usually order two at a time partly to save on shipping and partly because I know that at some point I will be dragging another one home and it is nice to have parts on hand. To thoroughly clean the gun and install the buffers figure on about an hour the first time you do it. It is in my personal opinion that they shoot softer than an 1100. The down side is that parts are some what harder to come by and they only hold 2 in the magazine tube so it only a 3 shot gun. Also if you are wanting to shoot target loads either buy a 2&3/4 only gun or figure on buying a 2&3/4 barrel for a 3" gun. The difference is the size of the gas ports in the barrel. Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:07 am 
Diamond Grade

I love my 51's. Very soft recoil. My parkerized 3" magnum version is my main duck gun.
Please disassemble the gun before you purchase it to visually inspect the slide assembly for cracks. TIG welding is an easy fix for cracking so don't let that stop you from buying it. The new buffers are made from Delrin and will outlast you and the gun. Also, it seems like $350.00 is absolutely top dollar for a field grade M51 (in like new condition) so that should be your bench mark. Obviously, if the slide is cracked, negotiate down from there.
Final comment on LOA (level of addiction)... I have a bunch but because there are no serial number records, it's not the same as collecting the M37. Also, M51 barrels are not serialized so barrels are interchangeable and can't be verified to be original to any gun.
Things to look for: the early guns have spectacular mirror-like bluing and better than average wood. There were supreme skeet and trap grade guns with hand checkering in 12 gauge. There are also a few supreme skeet grade in 20 gauge (very scarce). There was never a supreme trap in 20 gauge. Finally, there are Deerslayer units in 12 gauge and supposedly some in 20 although the 20 was only cataloged for 1 year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:11 am 
Diamond Grade

I appreciate all the input. Still deciding if I need to go in yet another collecting direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have one, and it is a soft shooting gun, I don't use it a lot but I do like it, springs and buffer pads fall under normal maintenance for a semi-auto.

cdb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:19 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a 51 Trap. Very soft-shooting, pretty wood, full choke.

I have two triggers, one pull, one release..........

I don't shoot it very much, probably hasn't been fired in 10 years, but I've been thinking of taking it out for a few rounds.............

Ric