ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st time post question about my Ithaca Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 am 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone - have really enjoyed reading a lot of the Ithaca discussions in this forum and decided to join in !

Three years back my brother in law and I bought our first shotguns for home defense. He bought a Mossberg 500 Persuader new and I bought an excellent condition 1973 Ithaca Model 37 that came with a short barrel for home defense as well as a 28 inch barrel as well.

Short barrel says "DEERSLAYER Model 37 Featherlight 12 Ga 2 3\4 chamber-proof tested Ithaca Gun Co. Ithaca NY Made in USA - Roto Forged"

28 inch barrel says "Model 37 - Featherlight 12 Ga 2 3\4 chamber-proof tested Ithaca Gun Co. Ithaca NY Made in USA - Roto Forged" and next to that "MOD" is stamped.

My question is does "MOD" mean modified choke ?

Next question is about ammo recommendations for the 28 inch barrel and my m37 from 73 for trap shooting. I thought I read it's better to use lead vs steel but I have everything to learn re: ammo, chokes, this gun which is one reason I am here :)

My brother in law and I are going to sign up for some private instruction next week. Excited to keep reading more and learning from this community in the meantime !

Joe

Post subject: Re: 1st time post question about my Ithaca Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Mod is modified but with today's ammo it will probably shoot like a full choke. I use #8 lead shot in 2 3.4 dram eq. loads. Welcome to the forum and I 'hope you enjoy your instruction with your Ithaca. {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:21 pm 
Crown Grade

I recommend you use lead loads only unless the club you are shooting mandates steel shot. It is far superior to steel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:35 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks ithacanut and oyeme ! Are there any good target practice type lead ammo brands you recommend ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:16 am 
Crown Grade

Okinawa: where are you located, i.e. Conus or ?

If in CONUS any of the 1 oz loads with 7 1/2 or 8 shot would be fine for practice. The Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics 1 oz loads are some of the most inexpensive and I have had no issues with them. They seem to me to be a reasonable compromise. The B&P brand shells are excellent. I recommend the 1 oz due to the light weight of the Model 37 and realistically you don't need anything more for 16 yard singles.

You also do not need velocity faster than 1,145 fps at those distances either. Both lighter loads and sedate velocity will make your shooting more enjoyable due to lessened recoil. The 28 inch modified choke barrel you have will work just fine for learning the game.

If you want to shoot 1 1/8 oz of the best quality then IMO those are the Remington STS brand. Everyone has their favorite ammo maker.

The link is an article on 5 suggestions for Trap shooting of quality ammo. Good luck and hopefully you get as addicted to murdering clay targets as most here are!

https://www.guns.com/news/2015/05/08/fi ... l-shooters

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:16 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks Crown Grade ! I will look into the ammo you suggested.

I am 30 min outside NYC - have to build out my profile at some point !

Anyone have any feedback on Rio brand shells for trap shooting ? Had been thinking about buying a case of those, when they come back in stock.

Have a great day all !

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:51 am 
Presentation Grade

Okinawa - welcome to our group. RIO's will work fine - I shot them a lot. As the above guys have stated, you don't need anything especially hot for 16 yard trap shooting and in fact, the lighter, the better. Your Ithaca is fairly light for a 12 ga. and recoil builds up with 50-75 rds. Your MOD choke barrel will work fine at the 16 yard line.
Practice your loading technique with dummy or spent shells - you want to get to the point where you can load directly into the chamber without even looking. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy, and safer then loading from the mag.