ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3rd Generation Ithaca 37 Owner...With Issues
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:50 pm 
Utility Grade

I am the 3rd to own this 37 Featherlight 12ga. My Grandfather bought it in ‘56, my Dad hunted it for years and now it currently sits at the FFL for me to pick up tomorrow. I couldn’t be more excited to have it and to use it - to own it...my brother is gonna be pi$$ed :wink:

The issue. My dad has reported a bulge in the barrel. Going to have the Smith evaluate and verify Dad’s report, but no reason to believe it doesn’t have a bulge. I know a direct replacement will be a challenge to find.

Here is what I hope your collective wisdom can help me with:
1. Do I begin the search for a direct fit barrel or donor gun with a serviceable barrel and have the Smith fit it
2. Send it to Ithaca to have them retrofit to the modern barrel - very invasive, I know
3. Open to other suggestions

I know there are cheaper ways to pulling a trigger but I want to pull this one. I want to re-live freezing my a$$ off as a kid, soaked to the bone, sitting in the blind with both great men with this gun now in my hand.

This gun is not a gun case queen. It has earned every nick, scrape, and gouge - each one a story I probably heard while the adults played cards (and I dried out). It may not have much monitory value, I’m not worried about that.

Thanks in advance for advice on how this kid can shoot Grandpas gun. I’m all ears!

Last edited by KangarooGrater on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 3rd Generation Ithaca 37 Owner...With Issues
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:55 pm 
Crown Grade

It somewhat depends the size and location of the bulge. Have it evaluated by a good smith. You may be able to use it as is. Also talk to Les Hovencamp, former repair shop foreman at the IGC., to talk about replacement barrels.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Ithacanut - thank you. I appreciate your response and will try and navigate this new tool of wisdom to reach out to your referral or I’ll use the Google to try and locate contact info.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

Like stated above it depends on where and how bad. If it is at the end perhaps cutting it off and installing choke tubes? Les Hovencamp is the owner of Diamond Gun Smithing in Ithaca NY. More or less just works on Ithaca Gun products. As far as a new style barrel I had this done to a gun by the current Ithaca in Ohio. I am happy with the results.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:52 am 
Diamond Grade

There's plain 12 ga used barrels out there if you need one. Talk to Les and he may have one and can fit it for you. He will need the whole gun shipped to him. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Update!

Thank you all for your advice and ideas, it is appreciated.

I called Les this morning and he has a barrel on hand! I will be shipping it to him as soon as get the gun from the FFL which should be tomorrow. After completing the paperwork yesterday I’m now in line to be processed (#987 in line).

Again, thank you all for your input. Without you I would be on a wild goose chase. You made a wet and cold kid happy!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:05 pm 
Utility Grade

And with that legacy Ithaca, you’re going to stay happy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:45 pm 
Field Grade

This is awesome. Good luck, I hope the repair goes well.