ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barrel length preference
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:06 pm 
Field Grade

Frequent lurker, seldom post, but have a question for the Ithaca 37 crowd. With the demise of quail hunting, my wingshooting has become more oriented towards doves and ducks. With that, I have moved from a 24" barrel on my 12 gauge model 37 to a 28" (fixed modified choke). My question is, has anyone here shot both the 28'' and the 30" barrel on their 37's? If so, which do you prefer for the type of hunting I am talking about? I'm thinking about trying a 30 incher, but am wondering if it might be too much of a good thing; i.e., too muzzle heavy. I would have the choke opened up, so that's not part of the equation. Also, this would be used primarily on a 2-3/4 action gun. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Barrel length preference
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

I’ve used 26, 28 & 30” barrels on 37s in 12 gauge. The 30” might swing better than the shorter barrels but not much. Definitely not muzzle heavy though. The new 37s from Ohio might be a different story because the barrels seem a bit heavier but on 2-3/4” barrels you shouldn’t have any trouble with forward weight. YMMV of course; shotgunning is highly subjective.

Post subject: Re: Barrel length preference
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:42 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for sharing your impressions, and I understand about the subjectivity of those impressions. And you are correct, the Ohio barrels are noticeably heavier. That, plus the longer receiver required for 3" shells and overall you have a much less lively gun in my opinion. I will try the 30" barrel if I can find one for sale at a reasonable price or in a trade.