ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 37 Trigger guard questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hoping someone here can help with a couple questions. I'm wanting to fit a newer stock that is fitted for short tang trigger guards to an older long tang gun. This is a 20 gauge. The options I'm considering involve either cutting down the tang to fit or picking up a short tang, but have the following questions:

1) is the receiver portion of the newer short tang guard the same length?
2) what about width (i.e. are 20 vs. 16 vs. 12 gauges all the same)?
3) any idea if the depth of the threads will be sufficient if I cut down the long tang, or will this require tapping?

Your knowledge and insights are greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Model 37 Trigger guard questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

I never knew there was a different tang length. Following to be educated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:32 am 
Crown Grade

There are some slight differences in the different trigger guards. If you take a look at earlier -vs- later ones, the bow (finger opening) is longer, more oval than the earlier ones.

I did find that there is a difference at the back, where it goes into the stock mortice. It seems to me that a gap is left, but I don't remember at this point, which style caused the gap. It was about a 1/16" of an inch.

I very much doubt that the long one is tapped all the way down far enough.

If it was me going to cut down a long tang and retap it, I would use the existing length as a guide.

Drill a little (if not drilled all the way) using the correct sized tap drill. Then trim a little and run the tap down. Repeat till done.

This is if you are doing it by hand. If you have access to a lathe (or will take it to someone) a split bushing can be made to grip and thus center the tang in the lathe chuck so all stays centered after the excess material is cut off.

You do not want to cut it all off and then try and drill and tap if doing it by hand.

I have not found any fitment differences (other than what I said above) between 12,16 and 20 gauge trigger guards.

Where you will find the difference is between one that came from a 3" chambered gun -vs- a 2 3/4" gun. The hammer will be different. There are also different relief cuts for the hammers themselves. I have seen hammers with sharp corners all around and hammers with the corners rounded off as it made the relief cuts easier to mill out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for chiming in on this David! I suspect there are only a few people with the experience to answer these questions, but know that you are one of them!

Since I originally posted this, I confirmed that the long tang is only shallowly tapped and will require both drilling and tapping. It had occurred to me that using the existing threaded length as a guide would be prudent, but your suggested approach makes total sense. Very helpful! Wish I had some experience with tapping threads.

I suspect the 1/16" gap you are referring to is encountered when you put the old long tang trigger guard in a newer receiver that is slightly longer. There's a reference to this in Walt's book (timeline section), but not entirely clear. Would really appreciate someone's confirmation of this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

So, to follow up, I purchased an early era long tang trigger guard and was able to successfully tap the threads deeper and trim back the tang 3/4".

So, the stock now fits the gun with this modified trigger guard. I am now in the process of fitting a pad and will refinish the stock. And, ultimately the guard will need to be polished and blued, biput that's for another time.

Thanks again to DR Cook for insight and suggestions!